I've heard a lot of opinions in this thread. Some opinions, by proponents of 2 3/4" shells in shorter chambers, are based on Bell's work and extrapolated to their reloads. While Bell provided some informative data, unless I were using the exact loads he tested, I'd be uncomfortable.

I think Bell simply cracked the door open for a promising outcome of those wishing to further pursue testing of their selected long shell/short chamber load.

I realize that there is a vast diversity of knowledge/education/experience here on this bbs, but have yet to hear that anyone has pressure data that indicates the subject practice is unsafe. I work with hundreds of engineers and often represent many of them in front of our regulatory agencies. They are all educated and knowledgeable people...in their respective fields and within their education and experience. I challenge them all the time, because they can't know everything, they are people and put on their trouser's one leg at a time like everyone else...they can err.

Sure, cramming a WallyWorld modern 2 3/4 load into a shortchambered 100 yr old gun is potentially unsafe and without a doubt foolish.

I have explained my approach to obtain direct data on this in my first post on page 1 of this thread. I think those that are pursueing the loading of long shells for short chambers should obtain pressure data of their particular load in the chamber dimensions they will be using. It's not a huge investment.

So, I'll say it another way; If someone has direct knowledge that this is an unsafe practice to shoot 2 3/4" shells in a 2 1/2 -2 9/16" chamber, please share. To me, this means actual pressure data. If any of our membership out there has real pressure data to share, I think it would truly be a service to our community.