"I once shot a Redhead drake (rare down here) I wanted to have mounted. I returned from my blind and put the bird in my car. The passenger window was partially open. Upon my return the caretaker's cat jumped out the window with my Redhead. At least the cat had mostly plucked it for me...Geo"

George - had a very similar experience many years ago with my first Wood duck drake. Man was I ever proud; and as I'd taken the duck late in the evening and was to join my wife and in-laws for supper that evening, drove to their home where I was now welcome to enter thru the back door. So I wiped off my feel and laid my game bag atop the freezer on the porch with never a single thought of the cat. While we were eating I heard a commotion on the back porch and opened the door just in time to witness the cat emerge from my game bag with MY DRAKE in it's jaws; and before I could say SCAT, it and my duck disappeared under the house! The duck was never seen again; and oh lordy did I want to kill that cat!. Wasn't funny then, but it makes for a good campfire tale now.