A friend who doesn't get to shoot doves much, and loves to eat them, was the recipient of the limit I took Thursday afternoon. So, thinking ahead to Monday evening, and wanting some grilled dove breasts myself, I took to the field this afternoon all by my lonesome. I knew where about 50-60 doves were feeding and set up my decoys and blind there. Today was a first for me. In 61 seasons I had never shot doves with a single-shot gun before. I took my 32" barrel Iver Johnson Special Trap and some B & P Comp One shells. The Comp Ones are lower pressure one ounce loads that I have had problems using in my other guns, due to misfires from light primer strikes. They will, however, fire with 100% reliability in this external hammer gun. It has a tight choke, and the drop is not so minimal that I can't shoot it well, though it is a trap gun. I've got a feeling it won't be the last time I use it on late season doves.

All I wanted was a few fresh birds to grill Monday evening, and it worked out nicely. They are marinating in the fridge tonight.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

SRH