To add to the ridiculous state that we are in, I went to a large sporting goods store in Virginia to pick up a rifle that I had purchased off of GB and had shipped there. State Police background check system is down. Not happy considering I drove 30+ miles to pick it up. Not their fault. I walked around for about and hour and half, still wasn't up. I left and went to the local Publix for some items and went back, still down. I finally left and I'll try again Sunday.

While there I took a look at the ammunition section. Nothing but 28 gauge, a few slug loads and really obscure rifle caliber ammunition. Lots of firearms stacked behind the counter waiting for the system to come back up or checks previously delayed with a lot of frustrated and even angry customers.

As to the younger guys and hunting, I think some of it is that there is no one teaching them. They watch the shows on TV and see thirty minutes of blasting ducks to background rock music, or think you just set up a tree stand and shoot a 13 pointer in less than 30 minutes. They are receptive and appreciative to learning. While out chasing Woodcock I came across two young guys duck hunting. We chatted a bit and I pointed out that their decoys were too close to the bank, and too close together. Since they asked, I gave them a quick lesson in putting out a small decoy spread. I also mentioned concealment, as I could see them as I headed down there so ducks certainly could. I only went down there because I thought they were packing up. They seemed to appreciate it and I moved on away from them.

They are the future, and if we want our activities and traditions to continue long after we are gone we have to guide and help them when we can rather than gripe about them. Just my take anyway.