Geo,
I logged on here this morning before I took the 3 grandkids (5, 3 1/2, & 2) for their weekly trip to the lake so your question was on my mind as they paddled and played in the sand and then ate a picnic lunch. Since I've already lived past my "three score and ten", I've dealt with your concerns and I keep coming back to the same answer as John's above. I'm not going to hang'em up. I'm going to make another adjustment and keep going.

I used to not even think about grabbing a 50lb kayak and carrying it down to the lake. Then the time came when I had to drag them up and down the beach. Finally, two years ago I bought one of those two wheel dolly's that slips over one end and you pick up the other and roll it down to the water. Grandma asked me today why I had three kids pushing on the boat as we pulled it back up the hill to the truck. I told her that I was getting ready for the day when they were going to have to launch it for me. That will be my final adjustment.

Then last weekend I told my son that we already have a pair of small earmuffs but I need him to buy a pair of child's safety glasses. The oldest just turned 5 and he can start going to the range with me. The BB rifle is ready and a couple of months ago I stumbled on (& bought) two boxes of 22 shorts for the old Stevens Crack Shot. After that I've got an extra short LOP Ithaca double in the safe for the next step.

When I finish posting this, I'm going to the bench to load some light load, low pressure, low speed 16's for my next trip to the range. Sure, they're for the 100+ year old wood on my doubles but they're equally for my cervical spine which responds to recoil by numbing my trigger finger hand. I've experimented with and settled on some low pressure loads that I can shoot 100 rounds of and not have any residual effects. I admit that I don't have much more room for adjustment in these loads but I'm going to keep adjusting as long as I can.

And when I can't shoot anymore or can't get on the water anymore, my happiness is still going to be full. You can see a pretty good reflection of why right here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]