Stan, mechanically the CNC guns offered today are far from “crap”. That was a poor choice of words—my bad. In many, many ways they are better mechanically than the best made long ago. But for someone like me who values the hand craftsmanship seen in our hundred or hundred fifty years ago guns they have what I call “soul”, something a machine can never impart to a product. I love the individuality of the old guns, few are identical and each small maker put his own twist on their work. I am just amazed at what a lifetime of using hand tools could accomplish! Yes, the old timers used what machines were available but have you seen the milling machines available in 1875? Crude would be a generous statement. The rest was simply files, chisels, rasps, etcetera, and skill. I will grant the incredible sophistication of machinery in producing our damascus barrels.
Just the rolling mills that were critical to producing the iron and steel were very advanced though powered by water or later steam.

I am rambling. Just give me a honest hand built gun and I’m happy though it has poor steel and welded barrels. Just like my flintlock guns....