You'll have to take my word, Sir 3 incher- but in part thanks to a few constant factors, I have a season long average of 1&1/2 shells for male mallards, and 2 for geese- mainly pass shooting over water. Several factors come into play in that average: (1) off season practice with the same shotguns I use for waterfowling- 12 gauge Model 12 pumpguns (a favorite of the late Gough Thomas I believe)- crows, blackbirds,feral pigeons and the odd shitepoke- At almost 80, my days of putting out a load of decoys, wearing waders in rapid rivers, or laying on my aching back in a camo field bag are pretty much over. I use Kent 2&3/4" No. 4 steel 1&1/8 oz. for mallard and early season geese, later when the flight birds come down our flyway I use 1&1/4 ounce No. 4 steel. My average estimated kill zone is 30 yards and closing. Being a bit frugal, I had to waste shells. You will never have any way to verify this, you'll have to take my word, but one of many factors in my skill at pass shooting birds is the fact that I still have 20/20 distance vision, a real gift from God since all my working years involved welding- Ah yes, welding- you implied that I might have pandering my farmer friends to get permission to hunt and shoot their lands. I beg to differ, Sir. They are all friends, and I don't come to them empty handed. Maybe equipment vital to their farming and income is not used in Limeyland, but here, welding and machine repair go hand=in=hand with staying operational. I do this service for them in a manner of "paying my way"--and NOT taking them and their friendship for granted. RWTF