The Internet and forums on the Internet are not reliable sources for much valuable information. So I will add to that with my own experiences.

I used to visit with Bill Heckman when he had his shop in Livingston, Montana, about Damascus guns and how strong they were. He told me how they proofed guns and and I was amazed at how simple that process was. They put the gun in a brace and test it with their proof loads that are developed for proofing guns at a pressure above what the gun is actually designed for. II the gun didn't blow up, it was in proof.

I took several Damascus guns to him to get his opinion on shooting them with smokeless ammunition and what to expect. He told me that the good Damascus guns were as strong and even in some cases, stronger than the fluid steel barrels of the same era.

Since then, I have shot lots of older shotguns with Damascus barrels and had no issues at all. Before doing so, I did check to see they were in good working order with good wall thickness in the barrels and no rust or pitting.

I have shot plenty of 2 3/4 inch shells in my Webley SXS that has 2 1/2 inch chambers and had no ill effects at all. I do keep plenty of 2 1/2 and 2 inch shells around and shoot them exclusively in those shorter chambers as that is the best way to shoot them.

I have seen blown up shotguns that were from other reasons than 1/4 inch difference in shell length. The best rule of thumb is to shoot what you are comfortable with and if you are afraid of blowing your gun up, by all means use shorter shells.

I would also bet that the pressure is less likely to damage the gun as much as recoil would shake it loose.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]