All advice on packaging/shipping is noted. Let me add this, the main packaging material used to send these parts out was a heavy card board tube. The kind that if you were to smack a horse on the head it would probably knock’em out permanently. All parts were wrapped separately using adequate packing materials, buffered between and extra on each end. They successfully arrived undamaged. Problem is they were returned in the same tube but loosely wrapped in baking wax paper, not the packing I supplied. Also there was minimal buffer material ( common newspaper) so they could freely move and tear free from wax paper.

Because this is going to come up later I’ll say it now. It is my opinion, the shipper, USPS, has NO blame here. In this case they delivered that tube undamaged and actually on time. Parts rattling around inside was not their fault, fault lies solely on the packager/sender.

To all the guys who say “things happen”. I know you mean well, I get your point, and Thank You for that but I respectfully disagree the logic. To me a “things happen”attitude bring images of annoying inconveniences in life like dropping your keys into a mud puddle, a broken shoelace,or even the one finger wave from a motorist. ( sometimes I’m not even driving!) To me “ things happen” is to surrender your sword to the enemy before ever brandishing it.

As a free American it is my right to speak up. My words will help issues similar to mine from happening to you. I’m sure those reading this thread will double check their outgoing packages so it doesn’t happen to them, or even better yet their client. To many have be intentionally but unknowingly tricked into thinking it’s okay to silence yourself. There are many here at home trying to take that right from you. Not only do they want your second amendment right they want you to shut up and obey.

Kieth,
You were interested in a conclusion. Without getting into detail, the final position by engraver and his organization is that “responsibility falls on the USPS office because they accepted the package, It’s a law you know”.
I say that to knowingly assert false blame to another party is bottom of the barrel in the Ethics department, also go ahead and file a fraudulent damage claim to USPS especially if they enjoy prison food. Or maybe they were they suggesting I file that claim?
As for the long and devoted Code of Ethics page on their website, “ that only applies to master members, all those other guys just pay us a fee to be on there”
I say, if it doesn’t apply to all engravers then it becomes nothing more than a marketing tool for selling business. Take it down.

The whole point of finding fair assessment value was for me to show and act in good faith over an incident that was unfortunate but not intentional, to offer a realistic fair and affordable option. I came up with a very low number in dollars that included over 8 hrs of my time to repair damage about 50%, and live with what couldn’t be fixed for no charge. It was declined, and as you already knew they would lay blame on others.
Truthfully here, if my offer was accepted I would have said “ don’t send any money, I’ve already fixed half the damage and we can square up on the next project”. Not a bad deal and I did say,”next project”. Of coarse there will be a next project and bigger, just not available to anyone in that clubhouse.

I’m not new to this abuse, and similar instances will repeat themselves over the coarse of ones life. I know if I chose to move forward on reimbursement I am covered through my own insurance. I can obtain the proper paperwork from the gun manufacturer who is still in business. My insurance will pay me out and file claim on his assuming he has any. Been there before. But if you have any advice you would like to share I’m all ears.