To comment on Stan’s post…..

Dewey is entitled to his opinion. He’s a very talented, extremely skilled individual, there’s no denying that. His opinions and views carry a lot of weight with people involved in our hobby, especially with individuals who are also interested and participate in the mechanical side of the hobby.
I’m too am entitled to my own opinion, an opinion that has been formed from years of my own personal experience in addition to watching, and LISTENING, to many other, equally talented, sometimes vastly more experienced gunmakers than Dewey, especially ones that have a “speciality like barrel making, stocking, etc.
I take it all into consideration, pick up on the things that make sense to me, ask a lot of questions, do a lot of thinking, contemplating and then form my very own, personalized opinion on the subject.

I emphatically disagree with his assessment on the use of mechanical gauges in regards to measuring wall thicknesses on barrels. In fact, I think it’s total bullshit. I’ve seen some of the very best in the business use mechanical gauges to great effect. And some of the finest guns in the world made today are still being made with the use of mechanical gauges just like the one I pictured earlier. There, that’s my opinion on it.😂.
Does that mean that I also disagree with his opinions on spring making, metal working, bad vs good gun designs, etc. Hell no. I agree with a lot of what Dewey has to say on a myriad of gun related subjects. I still wish he posted here and shared more of his experience and knowledge, but I fully understand why he boosted out of this place too.