I was 20 years old and newly married, going to college in the daytime and working full time at night when my boss invited me to join his Saturday dove hunting group. I didn't own a shotgun and couldn't afford to buy one. I'd always borrowed one from my Dad (usually a 16ga M37) or from one of my grandfathers when we went hunting. When I thanked my boss for the invitation and told him why I couldn't accept he said he didn't have an extra gun but let him "work on it". When the next weekend rolled around he said, "Buy some 20ga shells. I've borrowed a gun for you." When we got to the dove fields, he opened the trunk, and handed me a SxS (a 311 as best I remember). I'd never had a double in my hands but as soon as I loaded it I looked up to a dove screaming straight in. Without thinking, I swung up through the bird and dropped him right in front of the group. I certainly didn't say a word and neither did they but they looked at each other and I looked at the double. "What is this magic gun?"

There have been a lot of doubles that have come into this happy home since that fine day and the "magic" hasn't dimmed. Momma still doesn't understand the attraction but "humors" me. In fact, I rolled the roadster out this morning and took her to her favorite restaurant to celebrate our 53rd anniversary.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]