Originally Posted by John Roberts
My ol' reliable Remington 552 Speedmaster with CCI HV short hollow points still works great. Very quiet, very deadly. Two head shots in 80 ft pine in my front yard in past 24 hours. Also, cannot say enough about the $100 Hawke 3x9 scope on it. What's your choice of firearm?
JR

Unless I am mistaken, John, I gave you a recommendation on the 552, long ago, on the old Shooting Sportsman board. My copy, a BDL version from perhaps 1975, is at least as accurate as my 581 Remington .22 bolt gun. Shooting standard velocity Eley solid points, the LR version, yields very satisfying accuracy.

Dad’s (now, my son’s) Remington 241 is an also ran compared to the other two, but, as a takedown gun, it is accurate enough to pot bunnies and squirrels. I’ve done it, just not recently.

70s vintage K4 on the 552. Same vintage 4X Marksman on the 581, and a Bushnell 1.5 X 5 on the 241. The scope is no longer optional for me.

My 552 replaced a Ruger 10-22, and, at the time, the Remington was a revelation. Full sized, good trigger, truly able to eat any ammunition I had, and, as a kid that was a motley collection of garage sale and end of season closeout stuff from Target, or, the Holiday gas station.

Target used to sell ammunition.

Best,
Ted