journeymen,
The 118.35 mark on your rifle is the bore (not groove or bullet) diameter, expressed in gauge measurement. In my experience, this most often found on rifles with .358-.359" groove diameter. Also it is found on several different old 9.3 nominal cartridges and often the 9x58R S&S. This mark was used before 1912 and at this time there were different case forms. In terms of the number of rifles made, yours is likely chambered for one of the 9.3x72R cartridges. For this reason, I recommend you make or have made a Cerrosafe chamber cast. The wax chamber cast will show general case form, but not precise measurements. At the time this rifle was made, there were "D"(Deutsche), "E"(English), 360, and "N"(Normalizert or standardized). Based on the above photos, I think you may have the "D" form 9.3x72R. The case that would not fully enter the chamber is likely the "N" form case, since it is the one that is generally available now. The "N" form was intended as a compromise to allow one cartridge to be used in the other three rifles by a minor rechambering. Many rifles were so altered without the requirement to have them reproofed because the "N" form ammunition was loaded to the appropriate pressure for all and a bullet that is safe in various diameter barrels. If you run an "N" reamer into a "D" form chamber, you remove only a minimum amount of chips. If you have a "D" form chamber and don't want to rechamber it, if you dieform a "N" case and fireform it in your rifle, you can then load it using the common "N" dies (The chamber wall will prevent such expansion that the case won't chamber). You can physically size a loaded "N" cartridge in a 38-55 die so it will chamber, but you would need a file/trim die, or the type sizing die that holds the decaping rod in a separate threaded bushing, so that removing it will allow the bullet to pass through the die. If you do that, you will have to decide on your own to do it as I am not advising you to do it. Also, due to the 9.3 case being a few thousandths larger than 38-55, you can't, nor do you need to size it all the way to the rim. I hope this helps. It could still be one of the other cartridges.
MIKE