Good number of birds the first two days. Son, daughter in law and I had easy limits. Again I had locals try to shoot one of my fields opening day. Thanks to a local game warden, who is a friend and was asked to swing by that field, that was stopped quickly. He did give out several citations for them to remember the event by and a fine to pay later. Some of these Billy-Bobs feel like they should hunt where every they want without permission or consequences. I think this will get the word around this year. Posting it did not deter them enough. Knowing the game warden is watching ought to help.

First day I used my uncles Crescent .410, and thought about him often as I shot my limit. Son used a Ruger 28 and daughter used a Sterlingworth 20. She struggled with two triggers at first but figured it out by the end. Second day she took the Ruger 28 and son and I shot model 42’s. She beat him easily in lower number of shells used. Today we go to the field that got poached. Then rotate back to the first field tomorrow. Should get five to six good days shooting before opening things up for anyone who asks. Already have two fields being hunted by local kids next weekend. While the birds won’t be opening day dumb they should be in good numbers still and I want local kids to have a good hunt with their dads if possible. Seems it is easy to find a dozen kids still who want to hunt with their dads. Does my heart good.

I am even taking the liberal couple across the street from my house hunting Monday. It will be their first time hunting ever. It appears I am corrupting them as I got them interested in home defense, then clay shooting and now dove shooting. It has been interesting seeing them go from near anti gun, to trying a gun and then a gun owner, to clay target shooter, to now new hunter. Bacon wrapped dove breast did the final trick. Now I will let my dog do all the retrieving to seal the deal. It is so much fun to watch a dog who loves to retrieve dove in her glory. My black Lab just loves dove like I do. I just hope Sandy out shoots her husband, again.