This is an interesting subject.

I had a Bushnell Elite 4200 with an illuminated dot that couldn't be turned down enough to be useable in low light, the red dot in it was so bright that in low light all you could see was the red dot and very little behind it.

I have a couple others that have worked well for me, an Alpen XP, Konus and Burris, when the dot is illuminated enough to work in low light you can barely see it in bright light but can be turned up enough to be useable in bright light.

I don't care for the illuminated reticles that light up the whole christmas tree reticle, it is too easy to wash out the whole background with them, I prefer just an illuminated center dot. I don't use christmas tree reticle anyways as most of my rifles I can hold on fur to 300 yards and rarely need to shoot any farther. I figure if I have to take a shot longer than that I did something wrong.

Another thing I've found is that since moving from the PNW to the SW I use the dot far less to almost the point of not at all and have even swapped out some of them for lighter scopes on the same rifle. I think it has to do with the much shorter transition from dark to light here, less moisture in the air, less overcast and less shaded areas.

My equipment gets used a lot as I coyote hunt, I'm in the field from Oct -March and summers if there is a problem coyote.