The recent thread about the Steyr Westly-Richards prompted me to think about this this Ross Scotch Deerstalker I've had for many years. I talked about it here way back:

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ub...;Main=13187&Number=146329#Post146329

I apologize for the photos - I no longer have a photobucket account.

I do not have documentation for it. It is a Ross SDS that was (this is what I would like to confirm) refined W-R. It has the original, "Made in Canada" barrel with the Ross serial number on it. The working understanding is W-R restocked it, reblued the barrel and action and added their signature folding front sight.

I've seen a page from a book that shows the serial numbers of Westley-Richards rifles from 1907 to 2011. The rifle has an extra serial number applied to the very rear of the action - in the bolt channel. That number is in the 55,000 range. The reference I referred to goes up to 46,643 (2011). This rifle was done well before that. I don't know if the serial numbers I referenced were just for rifles they, "made" (e.g. built the rifle from an action only) and those that they, "refined," were not included in that set of serial numbers?

One might think the logical answer is to contact W-R for information. That path has been tried. The Ross collector I acquired the rifle from - purchased the rifle from W-R. He acquired it from W-R in the states here. They had obtained it from W-R in England, with the hope being given Ross rifles were manufactured on the North American continent, it would sell better here. But here's the kicker, they had no idea the rifle was theirs! While at one time, the employees there may have had extensive knowledge about rifles from a century ago, that seems to have gone the way of many things. An example of this is an attempt to confirm a W-R receiver sight on a Ross target rifle. The sight is clearly stamped, "Westley Richards". W-R's response: "we never made receiver sights."

I'm hoping there are other options for me to further research this rifle. I'm looking for those people, resources or references who may be of help. Can anyone steer me in that direction?