Another morning in the grass. Scenting conditions the last few days have been awful. Very low humidity, warm, and zero wind. Makes it extremely tough, but somehow the dogs manage. Lots of stop to flushes when conditions are like this, but the dogs somehow find little spots in the draws and valleys where the air currents flow and scenting is a little better than on the flats. Well trained dogs that stop to flush are essential in prairie grouse country where scent conditions are horrible. We don’t consider a stop to flush a bump. Scenting is just too tough sometimes.
The brace today was shot over staunch points, but the shots weren’t close at all. First bird flushed 40 yards in front of the dog, I was 5 yards behind the dog when it took flight. The second bird, pretty much the same thing but it took a hard left in flight and presented a moderate crossing shot. Tight chokes are a good thing sometimes. Second bird flew 100+ yards, fluttered and went straight up in the air and fell. Easily marked and Jack my setter found him with no issues.

Jack on point a few hundred yards out….
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Ranger the French Britt on a productive point, he’s so little he’s hard to find in knee or calf high grass…

Brace of sharptails with the 1896 Chas. Lancaster body action 12 bore that brought em’ down.