For some reason, I found most of the grouse in the less grousy habitat. What constitutes textbook grouse habitat was often devoid of birds, but a few pockets held them. Mostly they were scattered in overmature or conifer stands instead of places like this.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or this

They were feeding on alder cone buds and lots of greens and maple or ash seeds. But one bird had these red-to-white berries that almost look like mountain ash, but not quite, unless they were unripe berries. What color is MT Ash before they are brilliant red? Lloyd, if you see this, I would love to know what you think about these.

They were also eating something that had a small somewhat bean-shaped seed. May have been rose hip seeds, but we never saw rose hips in the crops. The seeds were always in the gizzards.

I promised pics of the guns this time, but the new kid in camp got in the way. He's less than 12-mo old, and coming along well. He will be a good one. Pheasants will be his next objective in three weeks.

Here we go. We had three hunters, 6 guns, all doubles.
Left to right, a Henry (Scotland), Cashmore (England), and Boucher (sp?, French). Back-up guns were Greener, Osborne (English), and OShatz (Polish) respectively.

We finished well, that's all that counts.

Next trip may include a bit of time hunting soon-to-be-mine acres that I know hold grouse - though that is not why we are buying it.