The Chachalaca country (habitat) is primarily in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, few hours South and easterly from the country in the Jones, old men movie, which was staged in the "Big Bend" country of far West Texas.
Two pretty diverse regions..... The Lower "Valley", running south east from Maverick County to the Gulf is a different vegetation, commonly called the Brasada, (brush country) is the dense scrub described elsewhere in this post.
Shortly after graduation from Texas Tech in '72, I took a position running a ranch operation down there for a well off older cousin who lived in Houston. This place entailed multiple large tracts on both sides of the Border. Ranching and Hunting operation .

The bird was locally referred to as "a Meskin Pheasant". Just incidental to Blue (scaled) quail hunts. I shot quite a few of them... Ran a lot, not anything particularly challenging on the wing in my opinion.
Stringy breast meat , much like a native Rio Grande Gobbler living in native feed (no deer corn). Other than counting coup on one to add to your list of harvested species, I don't know any reason to go on a Chachalaca Hunt.