Well, I guess I'm still in Roy's camp as I shoot a southpaw Mark V in .300. I need a flat trajectory and good retained enery downrange and it delivers...consistently. The shots can be long at times and I want the animal anchored. I am very-much after the "blue-spark" (because tablefare is the goal) and my silly old "Japanese" and wood-stocked Weatherby simply delivers. It does tend to "maim on one end and kill on the other" but I don't shoot it for pleasure nor do I need to shoot it often. The average is about 3-shots per year ( 2 at the range to confim sighting and 1 to kill). I handload for it and I know what it likes (earned knowledge, for-sure). I set it up about 25-years ago now, primarily for elk but it's quite efficient on deer too (it is a bit hard on the deer however, I prefer a .308 for them).

In Pennsylvania, I'd love to be using my flintlock longrifle, but out here you need to be competent shooting at distences unheard of where I grew up. Different horses for different courses.