John,
By far the most common version of Darne gun imported to the US prior to Paul Bruchet turning the company to production of custom guns only, is the raised rib pictured on the 28 gauge. Typically, but, not always, there is no under rib on a gun so configured. One of the regulars here, a knowledgeable English poster has consistently pointed out that he abhors under ribs for the corrosion that tends to develop under them. I’ve always considered an under rib not needed unless you were trying to balance a gun with short tubes, or get the weight up. I don’t live in England, and corrosion, on my guns, hasn’t bitten me in the ass, however.
I sold my 20 gauge R15, a lovely bird getting machine, with 29” tubes, a swamped rib and a straight stock, in a moment of foolishness. After I got rid of the big mistake that induced the sale of that gun (she thought she needed to change the world, and wanted to begin in my little corner of it) I began looking for another swamped rib, straight stock 20 gauge, in hopes it would perform about the same in my hands.

25 seasons went by. I can assure you, I looked long and hard, for a long, long time before another came my way. I compromised on barrel length, or, I’d still be looking. I own Darne guns with both styles of rib. But, I prefer to hunt birds with a swamped rib.

The girl I married harbored no illusions of me being anything but what I was, and signed on anyway, swamped ribs, Setters, and all.

I can’t speak to every hunting situation. But, on grouse and woodcock, and pheasants that haven’t been pressured into 40-50 yard flushes in front of the dog, I much prefer a swamped rib, on a Darne. I’ve never had the opportunity to use a different manufacturer’s version of a swamped rib. I don’t think it is a great option for clays games, but, that just might be me. I have other complications with my shooting, and find myself struggling with the things that used to work so well. But, I will continue to try to find what works best for things in the future. It may not be what worked well, before. Sadly, an ugly, All Weather Remington 1100 20 gauge LW has been about the most consistent gun in the arsenal this season. But, at least I’m still shooting. My brother will end his days in the nursing home. His guns live here, today. There, but for the grace of God....

Merry Christmas. May your New Year be blessed and joyful.

Best,
Ted