Having an orphan '03 action (late NS, almost end of production), and the desire to put it to use, and being up to my ears in original and customized .30-06's, the plan is to build a .22 Hornet. My inspiration comes from Chapter 4, Volume II of Michael's book - an ersatz Griffin&Howe depression-era "econo sporter" such as what they did with NRA Sporters. (And by extension, what would've stopped a guy with a few dollars to spend in 1933 from ordering a new NRA Sporter from the Armory with orders to forward it directly to G&H for "the treatment", and at the same time ordering a .22 barrel from inventory via their parts list? And then instructing G&H to take it a step further and making it into a Hornet?)

I'll be utilizing an original orphan .30-06 NRA Sporter barrel. Fear not, the bore is utterly toasted so there's no sacrilegious destruction of an artifact here. I'll be lining it with a 1/2" OD .22 centerfire liner from TJ's (.224/1-14" twist), plenty of meat to accommodate a .22 Hornet. Further "fixings" include a repro NRA Sporter/M1922 stock (hence the desire to utilize the larger contoured original Sporter barrel), M70 buttplate, etc. - all in accordance with the protocols G&H followed 90 years ago).

Bolt face will be bushed for the small rim, and extractor hook extended likewise.

My main concern is how to get around the coned breech of the .30-06 barrel. Simply chambering for the Hornet will leave too much of the case unsupported, I think. Therein lies my question. Am I worrying needlessly about that or should I plan on installing a flat steel bushing in the coned breech of the Springfield barrel before lining it to create a flat breech to 100% support the Hornet case? (Leaving enough of the original cone, hopefully, to permit intrusion of the bolt head.) In other words emulating somewhat the breech end of an M1/M2 Springfield barrel.

I have the technology and skills to achieve this, but I need to have a game plan before I start - and this is uncharted territory for me. Thoughts?