Originally Posted by Parabola
I’d be happy if someone offered me $2.5K for my almost as new Parker Hale Ugartecha 12 bore BLE with chopper lump barrels 🤩🤩🤩

Hammer price at Southams about a year ago was £12.

$2500 is what the Model 40 sold for new back in 2010-2012 when I was looking at them.

I always liked their Maura model which was a step up from Ugartechea’s model 40. The Aspen Outfitting Company claimed it as their proprietary AOC/SG model. However, the Ugartechea Maura apparently existed long before AOC made claim to it.

When I use to regularly frequent the Spanish Shotgunworld site, a Spanish fellow came on once and made a post describing that very boxlock model. He stated that years ago he had visited the Ugartechea workshop in Eibar and asked Ignacio Ugartechea about the Maura model. Mr. Ugartechea explained that he had built it years before specifically for a lady named Mrs. Maura who was a marquise. He said she use to hunt woodcock in the hills around Eibar, but would get tired carrying a heavy 12 gauge sidelock all day long. So Mr. Ugartechea custom built her a 16 gauge boxlock with open chokes and so named the shotgun, Maura.

I handled a Maura boxlock back in 2010. It was a very simple and yet elegant little gun, just felt lively in the hands. I should have bought one when I had the chance. They were strictly a special order gun. I told the distributor I would purchase one if Ugartechea ever made them again. Back in 2010, he told me they were only made on a small production run, specifically a batch of about 25 guns once a year for the Aspen Outfitting Company. I stopped and visited the Aspen Outfitting Company back in 2014. At that time, Jon Hollinger told me that was the last year they would be bringing in Ugartechea shotguns. It was pretty much over by then.

Ugartechea Maura
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

_____
TC