I'm finishing up restoring a Savage Fox Model B. Several years ago a friend at our local shooting club commented that he wished I'd find him a nice old serviceable double 12 for "no mucho dinero". Awhile later my wife's uncle called to say that he had a nice old double that was going to be auctioned in his upcoming antiques auction, and asked if I'd like to look at it. I said "Yes", of course. It was indeed a little used, but a bit neglected, Model B. No cracks, pits or any other pitfalls. I bought it for $400 and sold it for the same amount to my friend.

Fast forward to year before last. I came in from the field one day and my wife met me with the news that a very nice, white-haired gentleman had come by while I was working and left a gun. He had decided he didn't need the double anymore and wanted me to have it, free of charge. I've just finished putting a sanded-in finish on it. When it gets sufficiently dried for shipping I will send the buttstock and fore-end off to my checkering lady in MT to be recut. All I'll have in it is some time and the cost of re-cutting the checkering. Maybe a bit more costly than chips or a cheeseburger, but "no mucho dinero, tampoco".