I hope you enjoy the process as much as I do, Ted. A good while back I acquired a FAIR Verona 692 LX Gold E Combo, in 28 ga. and .410, both with 30" barrels. Price was very reasonable and it wan't hurt, except that it had a trap style buttstock with an aluminum adjustable butt plate. Yuuuck! The comb was also too high for me to shoot well in sub-gauge sporting events, so I set out to find a replacement buttstock. A call to Basil Slaughter in Nevada yielded a cracked one that he had pulled off and replaced, for the customer.

He sent me pics and a price of $50. The wood was beautiful and I knew I could repair that crack. The resulting project was great fun and yielded a very nice gun that is now great for sub-gauge events and for doves and quail. I had to stain it to more closely match the fore-end, and it turned out good enough that no one has ever noticed the crack (I honestly can't see it myself, and I know where it was), or that it wasn't the original buttstock.

Another buttstock replacement that I did was on a 12 ga. Philly Fox SWE. I wanted to save the original f/e so I had to match the color of the new buttstock to the old wood on the f/e. Here's before and after pics.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

You can do it, playing around with multiple layers of different shades of stain.