LC Smiths are difficult to make sense of at times. I ended-up reading alot about them after I bought my Quality 1 gun (because the seller had ID'ed it as an O-grade & I could tell it wasn't). Pre-Fulton/Hunter Arms guns are really tough because the records for the Syracuse guns are either spotty or just don't exist (the Brits were way-better at record keeping in the 1880s). Graded American doubles are rare in this country (it seems we've mostly descended from the hoi-palloi here, sadly) and accordingly, are usually expensive. Some of them are lovely beyond belief however. With the changing times in this country (i.e. the Boomers ageing out and the urbanization of the rest of it) some of those better guns should eventually find their way onto the market. Since most folks in the gun fraternity tend to think Elsies are just low-end Field Grade guns now, the market for them might be depressed initially, but any examination of these better guns should be a revelation (for the folks who actually know fine guns).