Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Hi Jimmy, may I suggest some reading. Roald Amundsen's complete sailing of the northwest passage, 1903-1906. Looking at the maps above that journey would not be possible in July 2023. Still frozen. More Ice may melt in August and should open up more. My point is that the polar cap shrinks and expands every year. Glaciers collapse into the sea every year, creating icebergs. There is no perma frost under the Arctic polar ice cap as it is not a land mass. I would be much more concerned if the passage remained open to viable shipping. And yes I am aware that countries have laid claim to it for just that reason. Hedging their bets it seems.

My point is that the Northwest Passage has been sailed at least twice in not so recent (to us) history. Definitely before the widespread use of fossil fuels and industrial growth.

I am certainly not a climate change denier, that would be faulty logic as the climate is constantly changing as with everything else. I am sceptical that we are the sole cause of that change.

Chief

Well, face it Chief, Google has spoken.

Best,
Ted