Originally Posted by Chantry
Originally Posted by KY Jon
I do not want to be logical about guns. I want enjoyment, enlightenment, a feeling of connection with craftsman and long dead owners. Need. Use. Efficient. Those things do not enter into the equation. If the did I’d be shooting a SBE3, camo, covered in the latest digital camo. I use archaic guns deliberately. I use tools which require me to excel to get the job done well. And I enjoy things made 75, 100 to 150 years ago which still do their job.

You sum it up far better than I could ever manage.

I'd much rather shoot skeet with an underlever hammered SxS and drop 5 or 6 birds than go straight with O/U or semi-auto. Besides it's fun to give the other shooters a hard time when their semi-auto jams or the inertia trigger on their O/U doesn't reset. grin

I have done both. I once ran a hundred with a Mossberg 500, on a bet, at a registered shoot. It was a nasty, windy and rainy day and I had the lone 100 straight. Many "top" shooters went home early so they did not ruin their averages. I understand that because one bad day could cost them a chance at state or nation honors. I just wanted to shoot and hunted in much worse weather.

I also have run hundred straight and been in shoot offs against shooters who I had no chance of beating under most circumstances. I went anyways and got beat most of the times, but had fun. Now I no longer want to shoot competition anymore. I would rather shoot a round of skeet with a new shooter than a All American. For one it is still fun and the other it is just another day at work. I can not beat the pros but I can share a sport I enjoy with a newcomer and make it easier for him to have some success and enjoyment. And speaking of those hammer guns everyone I shoot with all get a chance to shoot mine if they ask. I always bring extra ammo and give it to them so they too can enjoy these old guns. If I do not give them a chance to shoot a hammer gun, many never will shoot one and miss the hammer gun bug.