March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
John E
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#395217 02/21/2015 11:14 PM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
Saw and handled one at a local gun show. 12ga, dealer said it was a C Grade, which was the highest. Some nice game scene engraving, generally quite good condition other than missing an ebony insert in the grip. The hole in the rib extension was neither round like a Greener, nor square like a Scott, nor rectangular like a Fox, Elsie, or NID. Rather, the L and bottom sides were straight, the ends of which were linked by a gentle curve. Different concept.

Large lump fit thrugh the floor plate of the receiver. Nice bores. Barrels gave a rather pronounced "thud" when I tried to ring them. Blued, but I wonder whether they might have been Damascus in disguise. Light gun, shootable dimensions. Might have taken a shot had I not been concerned about the barrels. $950 seemed fairly reasonable.

Anyone know anything about these? First one I've ever handled. I seem to recall an article or two in DGJ, thought I might have saved and filed them, but I did not.
Liked Replies
#644172 Mar 16th a 01:40 AM
by Carl Baird
Carl Baird
The shame of all this talk of beautiful workmanship in old American doubles is that I fear it's going away. I have a small collection of Hollenbeck, Syracuse, Three Barrel and one Baltimore that I cherish. My children don't care and I've gone to great lengths to explain to them what exceptional talent and drive it took to make these beauties. They all say great dad, and go about their own lives, never asking about them again.
I have a friend who grew up in Hungary and took an apprenticeship as a tool/gunsmith guy at a very young age. He said one day he was handed a bunch of steel and given the chance to make his own tools...screw drivers, chisel's, knives, etc. Then he was taught the art of making "V" springs. He said, you have to know your colors perfectly when you heat the steel...to much of a color and it won't work, too little of a color it won't work. He said, if you do it right, the true test is to take the "V" spring, clamp it closed and leave it alone over night. If it functions properly in the morning, it's a good spring.That's artistry and it's going away.
Before I leave, I hope underfunded Frank Hollenbeck gets the recognition he deserves. He made some mighty fine doubles.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.