April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, SKB, buckstix, canvasback, 1 invisible), 1,144 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,844
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
DaveB, GLS, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#449027 07/02/2016 2:38 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Every now and then, a nice, new-in-the-box 1964 vintage V19 28 gauge falls in your lap. A gun like this one:

V action glory shot:

I'm pretty sure that if you rang the good folks at Stoeger up in that era, discussed your needs, and sent them payment in full, they would have seen that you got exactly what you wanted. I'm also pretty sure very few Americans did that. They just bought what Stoeger had on the shelf. Roger Barlow did the special order thing with a few of his Darnes. So did John Amber. But, they were Roger and John.

The 1965 shooters bible had the specs on the Darne guns, and stated the the V19 "Quail Hunter Supreme" (what a corny name) came fitted with a Darne sling. But, this one didn't. I like a Darne sling, a lot. No clanky swivels, unobtrusive, handy if you need your hands free when working the dog, getting a drink, or snapping a photo. Problem is, you just don't run down to Wal Mart to get one.

In just a few weeks, this one will be on US soil. Said V19 will be fitted with the option, and a new, never used, original Darne buttplate, to replace the shrunken original:

I can hardly wait. Every Darne needs a sling.

Best,
Ted
Liked Replies
#624085 Dec 24th a 01:22 AM
by 16 Shooter
16 Shooter
I thought I would resurrect Ted's Thread with a new sling on a Darne of my own. I contacted Geoffroy Gournet and he had one Darne Bratelle Sling left in stock for a 12 gauge. So my R10 12 gauge was sent off and in a few weeks came back installed, ready to go. It is really a nice design for an easy to remove sling if the situation calls for it.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
2 members like this
#624097 Dec 24th a 03:59 PM
by GLS
GLS
Some folks don't like slings on upland guns, particularly for woodcock, but I've never met a cover that couldn't be resolved with a flood of obscenities and Dan's Briar Gear. Here's my R-10 20 ga. with a removable gamekeepers sling from Galazan. I haven't see it listed in the catalog in the past few years. The front is secured by a slide on malleable metal clamp covered with leather and has an open view over the rib. Gil
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
#624111 Dec 24th a 08:38 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
John,
By far the most common version of Darne gun imported to the US prior to Paul Bruchet turning the company to production of custom guns only, is the raised rib pictured on the 28 gauge. Typically, but, not always, there is no under rib on a gun so configured. One of the regulars here, a knowledgeable English poster has consistently pointed out that he abhors under ribs for the corrosion that tends to develop under them. I’ve always considered an under rib not needed unless you were trying to balance a gun with short tubes, or get the weight up. I don’t live in England, and corrosion, on my guns, hasn’t bitten me in the ass, however.
I sold my 20 gauge R15, a lovely bird getting machine, with 29” tubes, a swamped rib and a straight stock, in a moment of foolishness. After I got rid of the big mistake that induced the sale of that gun (she thought she needed to change the world, and wanted to begin in my little corner of it) I began looking for another swamped rib, straight stock 20 gauge, in hopes it would perform about the same in my hands.

25 seasons went by. I can assure you, I looked long and hard, for a long, long time before another came my way. I compromised on barrel length, or, I’d still be looking. I own Darne guns with both styles of rib. But, I prefer to hunt birds with a swamped rib.

The girl I married harbored no illusions of me being anything but what I was, and signed on anyway, swamped ribs, Setters, and all.

I can’t speak to every hunting situation. But, on grouse and woodcock, and pheasants that haven’t been pressured into 40-50 yard flushes in front of the dog, I much prefer a swamped rib, on a Darne. I’ve never had the opportunity to use a different manufacturer’s version of a swamped rib. I don’t think it is a great option for clays games, but, that just might be me. I have other complications with my shooting, and find myself struggling with the things that used to work so well. But, I will continue to try to find what works best for things in the future. It may not be what worked well, before. Sadly, an ugly, All Weather Remington 1100 20 gauge LW has been about the most consistent gun in the arsenal this season. But, at least I’m still shooting. My brother will end his days in the nursing home. His guns live here, today. There, but for the grace of God....

Merry Christmas. May your New Year be blessed and joyful.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#624094 Dec 24th a 03:19 PM
by 16 Shooter
16 Shooter
Ted,
The R10 is choked .003 in the right barrel and .010 in the left barrel and weights 6lbs 4oz. The chokes and weight make it a great upland gun. The safety is on the left side. I purchased this gun from a gentlemen in Illinois who had an ad in Double Gun Journal about 4 years back. I paid as I recalled about half of what WLM wants for there R10. The gentleman still has a couple of rough 16 Darnes as far as I know. One that I remember was a halifax grade. One was a R10 that had the receiver blued that made me cautious. At least one had a straight English stock as I remember. He wanted to much for them and we never made a deal.
1 member likes this
#624101 Dec 24th a 04:52 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Ted,
Late to this current discussion, but that first page photo of the 28 ga. with a nice high rib looks great. You know how I abhor a severe swamped rib like most Darne's have, so this particular gun really appeals to my sense of aesthetics. Nice gun! Merry Christmas.
JR
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.