April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, BrentD, Prof, GLS, John Roberts, LeFusil, liverwort, lonesome roads, mc, Run With The Fox, SKB, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#531574 12/19/2018 1:22 AM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Just had a nice snort of Woodford Reserve. Smoooooth.
Whatchall drankin'?
JR
Liked Replies
#618276 Aug 18th a 02:13 PM
by AZMike
AZMike
I like to buy the best tequila I can find in a plastic bottle, that leaves me enough $ for a 30 pack of Keystones!
Life is good here on the Frontera!
2 members like this
#618298 Aug 18th a 06:26 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
I'm not sure my experiences are noteworthy but....when I imbibe the cheaper stuff (i.e., the rotgut) I seem to pay a higher price the next day, so accordingly I've gotten fairly selective about what and when I'll indulge that particular vice anymore. The lost time simply isn't worth it to me. The better stuff (& that includes wine) seems to take less of a toll. It's rare that I get to completely skate-by anymore, but some clearly do less damage. And, of course, that's a trial & error process.
2 members like this
#618336 Aug 19th a 03:36 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I can completely "skate by" with Ezra Brooks, or Evan Williams. Anything cheaper ........ I don't try. I can tell no difference in how I feel the next day with E.B. compared with Weller, Jefferson's Ocean, Buffalo Trace or Pappy. But then, moderation is key to it all.
2 members like this
#618346 Aug 19th a 12:36 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I can completely "skate by" with Ezra Brooks, or Evan Williams. Anything cheaper ........ I don't try. I can tell no difference in how I feel the next day with E.B. compared with Weller, Jefferson's Ocean, Buffalo Trace or Pappy. But then, moderation is key to it all.

I’ve fooled a lot of people over the years with self proclaimed refined palettes and high end liquor taste with a few fingers of Ezra. I love the look on their faces when they get done exulting on this mystery liquids fine points (you know, the really wordy, flowery talk some folks like to use when they’re describing the hints of this and that…), they ask what is this…..and I then drop it’s a $12 bottle of Ezra Brooks😂😂
2 members like this
#618344 Aug 19th a 12:23 PM
by ellenbr
ellenbr
François:

I prefer stump water as it keeps you acclimated.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
2 members like this
#618401 Aug 20th a 01:28 PM
by eeb
eeb
Unfortunately, LR is right. Since the Confederate monuments here in Richmond were torn down and everyone dodging the Confederate heritage in their woodpile, Virginia has become Yankeeland lite. But I digress….

To Stan’s point, I do know the difference between moonshine and bourbon. A local fellow make Apple Pie and Blackberry moonshine, but it’s a novelty item. He also makes and sells a two year old “bourbon” for something like $40 a fifth that goes down like a garden rake. Yikes! IMO bourbon has a flavor that is universal with some better than others but it’s all corn likker. As has been pointed out a $12 Evan Williams has great drinkability and compares favorably to more expensive brands. It begs the question are the expensive brands worth it? My preferred Old Forrester hits the nail on the head with a flavor that doesn’t deviate much from high dollar varieties. And when the topic of bourbon pops up on a double gun internet board that discussion has to be lite hearted. There’s way too much seriousness in the world anyway. Yesterday was my 62nd bday and my oldest son and my precious DIL gave me a bottle of 15 year old Glenfiddich. I thanked them profusely but didn’t tell them that since covid a year ago all alcohol tastes like burnt rubber tires. Maybe this will kick start my taste buds. Cheers Stan

Ed Blake
2 members like this
#618442 Aug 21st a 12:18 AM
by eightbore
eightbore
Stan, I still use some VG fairly often. It is no longer made by Smith-Bowman in Northern Virginia and is now under Sazerac ownership. It is distilled down south and redistilled?? in Virginia. Still tastes OK, but does not have the history of the old product. When it was distilled locally, it outsold Jim Beam and Jack Daniel. No more. It is now described in the trade as a bottom shelf bourbon not actively advertised by the Sazerac corporation.
2 members like this
#618524 Aug 23rd a 10:58 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Neither bourbon nor Tennessee whiskey is all corn.
2 members like this
#618534 Aug 23rd a 03:04 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by Salopian
Over here we drink Whisky .
Is Bourbon like your Coke or Pepsi?
Is it a Ladies drink?

Not really. We drink bourbon over here and piss scotch.
JR
2 members like this
#618681 Aug 26th a 07:50 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
GlS,
The video you posted was Chris Stapelton singing Tennessee Whiskey, not Whiskey River. My favorite version of Whiskey River is Mr. William Nelson's arrangement. I agree with your assessment of Chris Stapelton's ability, though.
Mike
2 members like this
#618274 Aug 18th a 01:53 PM
by battle
battle
Luckily I live 20 minutes from there and able to drop in and buy the days offering from the gift shop. Could be Eagle Rare, Weller or Colonel Taylor. All good and hard to find at any retail store. Woodford Reserve is about 10 minutes away and my favorite.
1 member likes this
#618361 Aug 19th a 06:42 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by eeb
It is, after all, just corn likker. It all tastes about the same.

Bullshit.......... maybe to you.

Ever tasted much moonshine? It can range from the worst thing you ever put in your mouth to some that rolls across the tongue just as smooth and easy as artesian well water. But how could that be? ............after all, it's all "just corn likker".

Yeah, right.
1 member likes this
#618397 Aug 20th a 12:30 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
wow- this interesting thread of good bourbon whiskies sure went into the dumpster right darn quick like>> RWTF
1 member likes this
#618422 Aug 20th a 05:13 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by Bluestem
Originally Posted by John Roberts
I've become a one-bourbon drinker of late, Wild Turkey 101. I find it superior to it's weaker sibling. I've never been a straight sipper, always blend with a little ginger ale. But I'm quite satisfied with its smoky, earthy taste and smooth finish. It's priced right by the handle also.
JR
By odd coincidence, I found an empty 200ml plastic bottle of Wild Turkey 101 at the end of my driveway this morning. Must be a nice size for country cruising and chucking at mailboxes.
Never, ever seen Wild Turkey in a plastic bottle.
JR
1 member likes this
#618440 Aug 20th a 10:35 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I tried for years to find some Virginia Gentleman on the shelves, to no avail. Why? Because Gene Hill wrote about it and I just wanted to try some.
1 member likes this
#618459 Aug 21st a 02:47 PM
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted by BrentD
It's not that remarkable unless you are sitting g around a campfire in the mountains.

Pretty much true of all of'em it seems to me...Geo
1 member likes this
#618476 Aug 21st a 10:18 PM
by eeb
eeb
Virginia Gentleman was what we drank in college, just because that’s what you drank at football games at a small college in Southside Va. It wasn’t great but we drank it with coke or ginger ale and the Sweetbriar girls loved it. I haven’t had any in years.
1 member likes this
#618509 Aug 22nd a 09:07 PM
by ChiefAmungum
ChiefAmungum
My take;

Find one you like that you like and will afford, enjoy it, privately. Buy another that should impress, serve it up. After a couple switch over to the lesser one(s), no one will notice! Come on, this is biblical! Cheers!

Chief
1 member likes this
#618455 Aug 21st a 12:26 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Stan- I have all of Gene's books, and signed. He and Michael McInotosh and Brian Belinski came here in October 1991 on an Orvis tour, and the manager of the local Orvis Shop in Ada was a close friend and hunting-fishing pal, so he set it up that Gene would go out with us for a morning duck hunt- Gene shot his Remington 12 auto--one of the best hunts ever, and he is/was the "real deal". But I also recall in one of his stories his mention of an older gentleman, an avid waterfowler, who favored Old Forester bourbon-- but you are right, I'd always wanted to try Virginia Gentleman, as I also sought J.T. S. Brown whiskey- closest I've come so far is Rebel Yell. Good stuff indeed. And of all of Gene's writings, my all-time favorite is "The Stranger". RWTF
1 member likes this
#618514 Aug 22nd a 11:47 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
I don't serve bourbon unless someone asks for some. Then, it's WT 101. I don't play games with my whiskey.
JR
1 member likes this
#618580 Aug 24th a 01:00 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Foxy, you are unconscious if you don't find entertainment value in George Herter's catalogs and writings. His home made Southern Comfort is way better than the overpriced commercial product.
1 member likes this
#618600 Aug 24th a 09:46 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
I doubt that the famous abuser, Janis Joplin, was using 100 proof Southern Comfort. If she was drinking the "whole bottle" that was claimed, it was probably the girly bottle of 80 proof. I would be the first to admit that a bottle of SC is hard to put down if no one is watching.
1 member likes this
#618601 Aug 24th a 09:50 PM
by GLS
GLS
Originally Posted by eightbore
Foxy, you are unconscious if you don't find entertainment value in George Herter's catalogs and writings. His home made Southern Comfort is way better than the overpriced commercial product.

It had to be better and "the world's finest" to be drank while swaddled in a "world's finest" Hudson Bay Blanket.
1 member likes this
#618617 Aug 25th a 01:19 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Southern Comfort would probably be more acceptable if mixed half and half with an inexpensive bourbon to kill off some of the sweetness.
1 member likes this
#618621 Aug 25th a 02:13 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
The manufacturers can’t keep up with the quantities consumed by the boomer generation. So, by introducing flavored products, they sell three times as much liquor with 1/3 the spirit in it.

It was a case of supply and demand being out of balance.

Flavored liquors are very very popular.
1 member likes this
#618610 Aug 25th a 04:53 AM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by eightbore
I doubt that the famous abuser, Janis Joplin, was using 100 proof Southern Comfort. If she was drinking the "whole bottle" that was claimed, it was probably the girly bottle of 80 proof. I would be the first to admit that a bottle of SC is hard to put down if no one is watching.

I made the mistake of buying a fifth of Southern Comfort when I was in college. I quickly learned that it is a mistake to buy a bottle of any liquor without having ever tasted it first. I had one taste, and gave the rest of the bottle away... apparently to someone who had no sense of taste. To me, Southern Comfort is like Rap music. Some people like it, but I'll never understand why.
1 member likes this
#618664 Aug 26th a 01:13 PM
by GLS
GLS
Did someone mention Tennessee Whiskey?
1 member likes this
#618685 Aug 26th a 09:24 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Stapleton's "introduction" was much more entertaining for his live audience than it was for the You Tube viewers. Not very pertinent to bourbon drinkers. ZZZZ
1 member likes this
#618726 Aug 28th a 06:25 PM
by ed good
ed good
'georgia on mah mine"...

souns like foxie is anglin fur ah jawja duv hunt invite...
1 member likes this
#618683 Aug 26th a 08:08 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
I have been a big fan of Willie Nelson for years- toss up between Willie and the late Ray Charles as to which one did the better cover of my all-time favorite song: "Georgia On My Mind"-- RWTF
1 member likes this
#618535 Aug 23rd a 03:17 PM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by Salopian
Over here we drink Whisky .
Is Bourbon like your Coke or Pepsi?
Is it a Ladies drink?

Not really. We drink bourbon over here and piss scotch.
JR

+1...

I vote John Roberts' reply here "Best Reply of 2022!"
1 member likes this
#618781 Aug 29th a 09:10 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Not me roads.

I feel sorry for heavy drinkers. I know the toll it takes, and the strength of the calling.

Nope.
I just pick up the trash, and hope they find a better way forward.
1 member likes this
#618824 Aug 30th a 02:33 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Crown Royal? Like Canadian whiskey is a legitimate use for alcohol.
1 member likes this
#618759 Aug 29th a 04:47 PM
by Shotgunjones
Shotgunjones
Originally Posted by lonesome roads
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
If you're buying, Baker's on clean cracked ice in a Rauk tumbler.

How about Ten High in a red Solo cup.

Go out and mow the grass. It's hot. You're sweaty.

Park the mower. Get a dry shirt.

Take a red Solo cup. Fill it halfway with ice. Add a double shot of Ten High. Add a splash of tonic. Top off with soda.

Park your considerable ass under a shade tree, and sip this through a straw. Your mood will slowly improve.

This is known as drinking 'long' or 'tall' and you will find considerable merit in this strategy.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.