April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,172 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, Carl46, Skeeter317
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Glacierjohn
Glacierjohn
I imagine most on here hunt upland with their classic American, English or European doubles, but I was wondering how many of you are avid duck hunters like me. For years I hunted upland and ducks with a 1907 DS grade Lefever. My gunsmith said it was a hell for stout gun so I shot 1 1/4 oz high base bismuth game loads out of it without thinking about it.

Problem was I was an inconsistent shot with it compared to my over-under. It turns out, after having the gun checked by a stock maker and pattering the gun, I shot way left with it. I went to the trouble and expense of having the stock bent, but when it still shot left after its return I sold it and moved on.

This year I decided to get back into old classic dude by sides. Before the season I found a nice field grade 12 ga. L.C. Smith feather weight with 28 barrels that weighs 6.6 pounds. I hit well with it, but its a little light for waterfowl, perfect pheasant gun though. So now Im looking at a nice Fox AE, 30 full and full, reasonable stock dimensions 7#_6oz. Im thinking that would be a nice waterfowl gun. It would get hunted 20-30 times a year. I plan on using 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 oz RST bismuth out of it. What do you think? Is that pushing it too hard?

My hunting buddy has used a Suhl side by side from the 30s that is probably a stronger gun, but he shoots regukar 2-2/3 steel shot out of it no problem. The seller of the Fox thought the stock would be the weak link in this equation, he thinks the action and barrels are no problem.

And Merry Christmas everybody.
Liked Replies
by Hal
Hal
Reminds me of a diver hunt on Spiritwood Lake when my partner's A5 got so covered with ice that it became inoperable. But i could still break open my Nitro Special and keep shooting.
1 member likes this
by Carl46
Carl46
My Marine uncle told me that the practice during winter campaigns in Korea was to urinate on frozen Garands and BARs when they were too frozen to fire. Would probably work on an A5 as well.
One more reason to clean guns after the hunt.
1 member likes this
by Mark Larson
Mark Larson
Last year with my 1880 damascus Husky 16 and 2.5" bismuth loads. This was before I re-worked the stock and had the barrels re-browned. I bought it primarily for upland, but its 30' im/im barrels make it a good decoy duck gun too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this
by canvasback
canvasback
Duck hunting with classic SxS you say.....

This was from late November on Lake St Clair at the Mud Creek Club. From the left there is a Lindner Daly Diamond Quality, a Fox HE SuperFox, a Magnum Browning Superposed (we have more work to do on getting Wally thinking straight Haha!) and a Custom Fox B grade with 32" barrels.

The Fox B grade was the subject of a thread over at DoubleGun about 10 years ago as it was being rebuilt and is the most beautiful gun I have ever seen. And it works well in the hands of it's creator. He scored a true double on a pair of greenheads that day. Two birds buzzed the decoys, one shot rings out, two birds fall, stone dead.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.