September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, Ian Forrester, steve f, 3 invisible), 115 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics36,093
Posts507,171
Members14,075
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, boon hogganbeck, BrentD, ClapperZapper, coosa, FallCreekFan, Geo. Newbern, Glacierjohn, GLS, graybeardtmm3, Imperdix, Mark II, Mills, Owenjj3, pamtnman, RichardBrewster, Rubberhead, simcgunner, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Woodreaux
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by gjw
gjw
Hey folks! Geo. Newbern reminded me that it's that time of year again. Thanks Geo. for the reminder.

Anyway, as in years past, this thread is to show off your guns, game, dogs and yourself for this season. So let's see all those great pictures again. Looking forward to seeing them!

I do have one request. Please keep this thread on track. Please, no personal attacks or sarcastic comments to those who post in good faith.

I hope everyone has a successful year and most of all a safe one!

See you later right here.

Best,

Greg
Liked Replies
by Woodreaux
Woodreaux
Last week was top-notch for woodcock in the swamp. Birdie found 50-60 birds in 3 hunts. A good time was had by all.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

4 members like this
by Snipe Hunter
Snipe Hunter
Today I took this 16 gauge Cogswell & Harrison out for its annual "birthday hunt". I have a letter from the maker with January 21 as the date of completion so every year on or around that date I take it hunting. Today we celebrated its 107th birthday.

[Linked Image from thesnipehunter.com]
4 members like this
by LGF
LGF
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Greener Empire, one shot

Smallwood 10 bore
4 members like this
by GLS
GLS
Not this season, but 7 years ago to the week. She had just turned 3. Today is her 10th birthday. Jeff, Floyd and I had a great day and Abby was so tired I had to carry her from the truck to the house when we got home. I thought I'd killed her, but in the morning she was fine. We'll celebrate her 10th with her half sister and Floyd's Sadie when the wind dies later today. Probably won't find the birds like we did in the photo, but we still have the memories. Gil
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
4 members like this
by shrapnel
shrapnel
3 members like this
by Woodreaux
Woodreaux
Season coming close to the end. Another great day in the woods with the dog and my brother. Gun is an AyA No 2 12 gauge.

3 members like this
by Mills
Mills
Quail hunt over New Year's

3 members like this
by Mills
Mills
More quail hunting. Julia shot her Superposed 410. My son and I shot Parker 20's. Sherwood disgraced himself on the last hunt with my Dad, but redeemed himself on this one. He even made a water retrieve (note he is soaked in the picture)

3 members like this
by Mills
Mills
One last quail hunt up in Blackville, SC

3 members like this
by BrentD
BrentD
From boom to bust. Yesterday, multiple hundreds of birds. Today, nothing. We did have to deal with a pair of trespassers, which probably had a little to do with that. But it was a good day anyway. We both finished with strong legs. That's not a small thing.

Now, it is on to Nebraska, I think.

Mr. Black Socks had to find a mudhole spring to run through right before jumping in the truck for the trip home. smile

2 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Shot Thursday afternoon in a big sunflower field with the A H Fox BE grade 12 ga. with 32" barrels. Lots of doves, I mean LOTS of doves. Killed my 15 bird limit with 21 shells. One ounce of no. 8s.

Used the same gun today on a millet field and brought the total for the two shoots up to 24. Shot like crap today. Drew a tough stand and got nothing but long shots.

SRH
2 members like this
by BrentD
BrentD
Our last day in Nebraska was yesterday. We are now, officially on vacation until 1 September. Gus is definitely not happy about that.

2 members like this
by GLS
GLS
Georgia doodle season ends Monday. SC ends January 31st. This season has been underwhelming compared with the last few. Several factors influence when and where we find them here in good numbers. We need brutal cold to clear the decks of birds north of us. We got some birds but when the Atlantic coast freezes over including North Georgia and South Carolina, they stack up in good numbers where we have found them over the years. Woodland river flood plains need to be full of water to shrink the habitat where we find birds. Wet woods, help as well, pushing worms to near the surface. We have had little of the above this season. The silver lining has been the discovery of new areas we previously ignored. I was in one such area today with the MuttPak. Despite woefully poor shooting, I scratched out a couple in a few hours with 10 flushes. As usual, the dogs did better than I did.
Ithaca SKB 100 20 ga. Gil
2 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Super Foxes were built for water fowling. I know that. That's all mine has ever done under my care, until today. It is absolutely the finest duck gun I've ever used. Thirty-two inch barrels, heavy to help absorb the recoil of big loads, and strong to absorb the same. I was in a quandary this morning. I was invited to a late season dove shoot for this afternoon and had to decide which double to take. My 32" A grade 12 had not been used lately, but the HE, which usually gets hunted on ducks in AR, did not this season, because of low water there, and COVID 19.

So, this morning as I pondered the wheres and heretofore of the doubles in the stable I thought "Well, since the HE couldn't get out for ducks this year why not give her a fling on the dove field?" I've owned this Super for somewhere around 15 years and never used it for anything but ducks ............ until today.

I went 5 for 5, then missed a bird. Then killed three more with one shot each .......... okay, eight for nine. Pretty good. Two doves came from my right, true crossers at about 35 yards. I was using Fiocchi Interceptors in the right barrel (1 oz. spreaders) and Federals in the left, no. 8s, both. The birds looked closer than 35 yards so I pulled a little ways out in front of them and hit the front trigger. Both birds fell dead at the shot, and landed not over 10 feet apart. A true double, and I was 10 for 10! Then, there was a lull in the flights, which gave me time to think. That's a bad thing. The wheels fell off, and I killed a couple more, but with several misses.

Probably my last shoot of the season (tomorrow is the last day of the season and it's supposed to rain all afternoon), but it's been a good late season. I remember an article, probably in DGJ, about "Pop" Headrick using an HE on a dove shoot. Kinda gave me a cozy feeling this afternoon, remembering that.

SRH
2 members like this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Last birds of the season
The Nebraska Upland Slam

2 members like this
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
Woodcock taken with my old Boss 12ga hammer gun. It was the first outing of the season for this old gun and an unexpected surprise as we rarely see woodies. Waterfall is on the family farm.
2 members like this
by Karl Graebner
Karl Graebner
Owen,
Congrats on your great day with the 'old girl'. I'm looking forward to October up here!
Karl

2 members like this
by oskar
oskar
Taken with the shotgun barrels, No Name drilling 16ga/16ga/9.3x72R 1 oz NP BB's in a 2.5" hull. I regularly hunt coyotes with a 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer but it is scoped. This one was called in on the spur of the moment.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
2 members like this
by coosa
coosa
Congrats to all the turkey slayers! I got one on our opening day too. The little Yildiz sxs 20 gauge dropped him at 30 yds.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
2 members like this
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
Thanks to GLS for posting the pictures 67galaxie took this morning. Here's what happened yesterday and this morning:

"Homeric Fail"
Last week we had 88 degree afternoons. Weather reported cold front coming through yesterday but a cool clear morning today. Then in the dark of night they changed that to rain all morning and low forties with "feel like" thirties.

Anyhow, I got up and went. The rain started on the way down to the farm I was hunting. No problem, I wore my long johns and my milsurp rain parka. How rainy could it be. Pretty rainy and cold it turned out. Miserable in fact.

No matter because I could hear the gobbler I knew was there at daylight. He responded to may calls and came in at about 8:00. Him and two other longbeards plus a jake, followed up by about nine hens. Four gobblers twenty feet in front of me before I knew it with evil intentions about my jake and hen decoy.

I've been excited all year about my 1928 Ithaca/Lefever game and trap single shot which my friend GLS converted into a dedicated turkey gun for me. The conversion included a Sumtoy turkey choke and installation of a Burris Fast Fire red dot scope. I had checked the "zero" on the red dot last week and it was dead on with hand loaded TSS #8's. The pattern at 40 yards would fit on a volleyball, so you have to hold tight on'em when you shoot.

Well, these gobblers were less than ten yards out, so I waited until they'd moved off about thirty feet to try to shoot. UhOh, I had taken the scope cover off because I thought I could hold the scope under my jacket so it wouldn't get wet. Except it did; it was soaked and I had the red dot on high so all I could see through the blur was the refracted light of the red dot all over the biggest gobbler. It was like aiming straight into the sun. I tried to rub the rain off the scope but it just smeared and got worse.

I hoped I had the bird sighted right and took the shot but missed. I guess in the rain they must have thought it was just thunder because they all just sort of walked off. A few minutes later I chirped a few clucks at them and the whole bunch returned, but led by the hens this time. The dominant big gobbler returned with them though, this time at the perfect 40 yard distance for the TSS.

And I repeated my first fail as I tried again to aim through the wet blurred scope lenses. I've missed a lot of turkeys over the years but never two in one morning. Moral is Keep Your Scope Cover On in the Rain Until you are ready to shoot.

"Rapid Redemption"

Fast Track Redemption. Yesterday's bad luck turned sweet this morning. Doubleguner 67galaxie and I returned to the scene of my disaster this morning and sat together where I set up yesterday. I figured I could use somebody who can shoot.

The birds were still there and we called the whole bunch in again. My sight was not wet this morning and we doubled on the two biggest gobblers in the group of four from yesterday. Mine was the strutter because I shot first and 67galaxie followed up with another big guy. Biggest was twenty pounds, big for around here...Geo
2 members like this
by DoubleTake
DoubleTake
Brent, I'm envious of your bird numbers down there. Northeast Iowa is bird poor in comparison. I used to see days like that in the Mason City area in the 90's. Looking forward to seeing your final report!
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
I love those days Brent, just awesome when it comes together late season. Another great pic of Gus too.
1 member likes this
by topgun
topgun
"I once shot a Redhead drake (rare down here) I wanted to have mounted. I returned from my blind and put the bird in my car. The passenger window was partially open. Upon my return the caretaker's cat jumped out the window with my Redhead. At least the cat had mostly plucked it for me...Geo"

George - had a very similar experience many years ago with my first Wood duck drake. Man was I ever proud; and as I'd taken the duck late in the evening and was to join my wife and in-laws for supper that evening, drove to their home where I was now welcome to enter thru the back door. So I wiped off my feel and laid my game bag atop the freezer on the porch with never a single thought of the cat. While we were eating I heard a commotion on the back porch and opened the door just in time to witness the cat emerge from my game bag with MY DRAKE in it's jaws; and before I could say SCAT, it and my duck disappeared under the house! The duck was never seen again; and oh lordy did I want to kill that cat!. Wasn't funny then, but it makes for a good campfire tale now.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
A friend who doesn't get to shoot doves much, and loves to eat them, was the recipient of the limit I took Thursday afternoon. So, thinking ahead to Monday evening, and wanting some grilled dove breasts myself, I took to the field this afternoon all by my lonesome. I knew where about 50-60 doves were feeding and set up my decoys and blind there. Today was a first for me. In 61 seasons I had never shot doves with a single-shot gun before. I took my 32" barrel Iver Johnson Special Trap and some B & P Comp One shells. The Comp Ones are lower pressure one ounce loads that I have had problems using in my other guns, due to misfires from light primer strikes. They will, however, fire with 100% reliability in this external hammer gun. It has a tight choke, and the drop is not so minimal that I can't shoot it well, though it is a trap gun. I've got a feeling it won't be the last time I use it on late season doves.

All I wanted was a few fresh birds to grill Monday evening, and it worked out nicely. They are marinating in the fridge tonight.

SRH
1 member likes this
by GLS
GLS
Probably both.
Sandy's father was a big game hunter and the house on Ossabaw has head mounts that go way back in time. Presidents visited the island. Here's Sandy feeding a wild boar that would come to her kitchen door for table scraps. Not all of them lacked fear of humans. The two that she hand fed were "Spotty" and "Vidal Sasoon". The hogs descended from hogs left by the Spanish on the barrier islands of Georgia. The State of Georgia bought the 28,000 acre island back in the 1970s from Sandy and her brother. They kept a life estate. No one expected her to live to be 108.
My wife is sitting on the steps in the photo alongside Sandy.
1 member likes this
by GLS
GLS
simcgunner, here it is.
1 member likes this
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Love it when kids are part of it.
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
Great pic! Nice gun, dog and doodle.
1 member likes this
by FISHSTICKER
FISHSTICKER
Buzz, yes sir that’s a suppressor, legal for use on all legal game in the free state of Louisiana. For us only shotguns have a round count restriction except for the conversation order goose hunts which allows any capacity shotguns. In about 40 states or so suppressors are legal to own and in most are legal to hunt with. For me it brings shooting to an entirely new level of enjoyment. I have significant hearing loss from years of stupidity so it helps preserve what I have left. And for the same reasons lots of you enjoy packing a 5.5# double for upland game I love packing a suppressed 9” barreled lightweight 300 Blackout. It’s the most handy woods gun you will ever have the pleasure to shoot. Twenty rounds of 110 Barns X over 20 grains of 296 in the magazine of which I only needed one. Close Joe.

Pamtnman when I’m hunting behind the house most of the time I’m in “any legal game mode” so hogs were certainly on the list. When paddling I will often bring a suppressed 22lr to take coons, squirrels and rabbits if given the opportunity.

John Roberts, It’s an inside joke……but believe me I get as much or more pleasure chasing spikes and 4 points thru the swamp in my home town as I do shooing 160” ten points with my Bow in Kansas so It is indeed a trophy my friend.
1 member likes this
by SXS 40
SXS 40
LAST BIRD OF THE YEAR WITH A FIRST YEAR MODEL 21

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]downtown athletic club amarillo tx
1 member likes this
by Mike Covington
Mike Covington
Hey 67. Think I recognize that Husky.
1 member likes this
by GLS
GLS
You get 3 dammit. Who you think I am, Skeetx? He's the nice guy. No soup for you! George and you need to tell us about the guns and George needs to tell the tale of woe from yesterday. Gil
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.