March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, Geo. Newbern, graybeardtmm3
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#585399 11/25/2020 10:32 PM
by oskar
oskar
Since I had to put my dog down a couple years ago I haven't done any upland hunting. This year Gambles Quail are super abundant. So I thought I'd throw the old 16ga sxs in the truck while coyote hunting. Twice coming back from a coyote stand I flushed large flocks of quail so I got the shotgun out and went after them. Well the little buggers wouldn't fly, just scurry around in the greasewood and mesquite, I could have ground sluiced a limit but I just can't get myself to do it.
I bet I followed one batch around a half mile and they wouldn't fly. How do you get them to flush without a dog. I'm new to the SW and quail with out a dog..
Liked Replies
#596729 May 9th a 02:18 PM
by Tom Findrick
Tom Findrick
Originally Posted by L. Brown
Life is sometimes unfair. Those of us who've owned dogs for a long time understand it's really unfair that a human's lifespan is so much longer than a dog's. And spending a dozen or more years with them, then sending them on their final journey when it's time . . . it never gets easier.

But for me, life isn't life without bird hunting. I've now reached an age where I'm thinking that maybe my youngest dog, now 2 years old, will be my last one. That's because I wonder how much hunting I'll be able to do in my 80's, which aren't that far away. But I intend to do everything I can to make sure that I can keep on enjoying dogs and bird hunting for as long as I can.

“I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?"
Sir Walter Scott
2 members like this
#585401 Nov 25th a 10:46 PM
by Joe Wood
Joe Wood
Oscar, when it comes to blue quail and gambles all of the old rules go out the window. Anything is fair and square, even dynamite! If they dont play fair you dont either. Growing up on our ranch in the 50s blues were super abundant and as kids wed just run the old pickup through the brush until we forced the covey to fly and then go after singles, which often would hold well. But we didnt have dogs so it was fairly common to ground sluice the birds. Amazing how hard it is to kill them on the ground! We tore up more ranch equipment doing this than most junk yards had. An alternative for you is to learn to run faster.....a lot faster....

Now I guess the statute of limitations has run out so I can tell this one on we kids. Mother liked quail that did t have shot in them so we two boys (in the 50s) would often set out quail traps and wouldnt take long to have enough blues to feed an army. Ever so often wed go to a trap with a shotgun. Reach in, grab a bird, and the shooter would call pull. As I said earlier, with blue quail there aint no rules.
2 members like this
#585492 Nov 26th a 11:03 PM
by nca225
nca225
Originally Posted By: oskar
Since I had to put my dog down a couple years ago I haven't done any upland hunting. This year Gambles Quail are super abundant. So I thought I'd throw the old 16ga sxs in the truck while coyote hunting. Twice coming back from a coyote stand I flushed large flocks of quail so I got the shotgun out and went after them. Well the little buggers wouldn't fly, just scurry around in the greasewood and mesquite, I could have ground sluiced a limit but I just can't get myself to do it.
I bet I followed one batch around a half mile and they wouldn't fly. How do you get them to flush without a dog. I'm new to the SW and quail with out a dog..

I don't know what your situation is oskar, but why not get another gun dog? Hard to regret a new puppy.
1 member likes this
#585410 Nov 25th a 11:38 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Thanks Joe. That put a smile on my face.

Black ducks can be just as frustrating until you get a hard freeze up. Then they get rather stupid.Most times they will circle your spread six or seven times before finding some fault so trivial you will never figure it out.

One year our creek, river and the Chesapeake Bay froze solid, but there were still a few pockets of water ducks could get into. Being young, dumb and much lighter than I am now I wanted to hunt ducks on our frozen creek, just off the Bay. I used black Tintex dye to create the illusion of a open water hole. Mixed two packs in a five gallon bucket and spread it to create a "open" area about the size of two pickups. Placed five decoys in and around it and waited. Ducks came from everywhere. Had black ducks dive bombing it the second they saw it. No calling needed at all. They would even try to get into it as the dog was retrieving the dead ducks we shot.

We had a swan try to land in it and he hit it so hard and so fast he slid right into the front of our blind. Knocked himself out. I thought he was dead until he staggered up a few minutes later. Pity he was OK. I wanted to see if he tasted as good as my uncles claimed they did. Several ducks landed on the ice and just about did the same.

When finished hunting I went into the marsh and cut a big pile of reeds and spread them over the "open" hole. The ice lasted three days before the warming weather made it unsafe to use. By then the season was just about over. I made one last trip out to the marsh and put about 250 pounds of corn out on the ice for ducks. It was gone the next morning. I wished them well in their northern migration and hope to see them next season.

If I tried, I could have killed several hundred ducks over that hole over those three days. That is until I got home. The game warden would have been the least of my problems then.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.