Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Glacierjohn, Imperdix, pamtnman, SKB
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Argo44
Argo44
Sam Shiller, the confidant and agent for Cyril Adams, sent this advertisement for a 4 bore SxS under-lever Reilly shotgun SN 15625 (dated per my chart to 1869). This is George L's shotgun from this board advertised a few years ago at $50K! And this gun is almost unique. It was originally a pin-fire converted to center fire:
https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...bore-sxs-double-rifle-in-292-c-045433c87
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

The starting bid price is $4K, almost unbelievable.

Here is the DGS line about the gun:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=550059

And here is the 2009 thread when George L. bought it...look at the West Tennessee guy's insulting comments at the time - he was a jerk then, he was wrong then, oh well....no change.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=181400&page=1

I'm wondering about George's health. Haven't heard from him for awhile...he was selling off his collection a couple of years ago after the death of his daughter.
Liked Replies
by Parabola
Parabola
The case wall of a 4-bore paper case is relatively thick, perhaps twice or more than that of a paper 12 bore case.

I think you will find that, to better match the interior diameter of the case to be used, 4 bore guns built for paper cases were made with smaller bore diameters than 4 bores which were built for brass cases.
2 members like this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
George never wanted to sell it at the time. I recall he had 7-8,000 in it after the restoration. The estimated value is 8-12,000. His 50,000 I think was as much a joke to himself as to many others. There was a lot of discussion about what it started out as and if it was safe to shoot. Always a subjective and personal thing to me. Hope it does well. It was well worth restoring from its sad state.
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
It it was likely originally a 8 bore brass case gun chambered for at least a 3&1/8" cartridge. None of my books show an example of a 6 bore cartridge gun. It may very well have been a smooth bore ball gun, the 36" tubes would be very long for a rifle. The bolted safeties look original to the gun.

Do we know the actual weight of the rifle? I believe 29 pnds is incorrect.

Steve
1 member likes this
by Imperdix
Imperdix
This shows why our Proof laws exist!!! That gun would be unsaleable and so it should be.
1 member likes this
by pamtnman
pamtnman
Looking more closely at the online photos of this gun, the extractor and surrounding metal is heavily pitted. Yet the chambers and bores are like new. This points to a very recent re-bore, probably because the original 8-bore bores looked like the extractor, all pitted. Which made the gun a lot less attractive. None of this is disclosed or even hinted at in the auction description. Buyer beware. What a lesson
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.