April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bsteele, Jerry G, Jimmy W, buckstix, Marplot, 1 invisible), 356 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,790
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
oskar
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jason Dubois
Jason Dubois
I've got it in my mind that I want to add a drilling to my gun safe. This despite never actually shooting one and only handling a few of them. I don't have any special need for a shotgun/ rifle combo gun, I just think they are super cool and I love the complexity of the mechanisms and craftsmanship in their construction.
I've read a bit on the subject and believe I have a vision of what I want. I'm thinking a hammerless 16ga double over a standardized but traditional rifle caliber. By standardized, I mean made recently enough to be in a commercially available cartridge such as 7x57R etc. I want to avoid the older doubles in which rifle calibers may be unknown and require a research project and require custom dies.
I'm also enamored with German scopes in detachable claw mounts- even if I've never looked through one and hope I don't get turned off once I actually experience the lack or cheek weld.
Frankly I'd probably use it primarily as an shotgun only for stocked pheasants at my club versus ever having it loaded with shotshells and rifle simultaneously.

My point in posting this here, is where do I shop for specifically for drillings? They are an obscure area of interest, so there isn't a big selection at any local shops to handle. I know that I want to avoid any loose or damaged guns.

I listened to a couple podcasts about an outfit called Save the Fine Guns or German Gun Imports which is supposed to be importing unwanted drillings for Germany and Austria at attractive prices. Yet I can't find any reviews about them online and can't find an easy way to contact them through their website. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with them?

Or any other recommendations on where to best look for drillings?

Jason
Liked Replies
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Jason,
In answer to Raimey's comments, I offer the following. I agree that a 12 ga. drilling is too heavy and bulky, noticeably so. Also, I would never consider a drilling in 30-06, even though it is one of my favorite calibers in a bolt gun. Not only would it add to the weight, a rimmed cartridge works much more reliably with a drilling's extractor. I have been hunting with drillings regularly since the mid 1960s and have reached the following conclusions : I prefer 16 ga 2 3/4" chambers and 60cm( about 23 1/2" inches)barrels. A scope is necessary to get full value from a drilling. For general use, i prefer a 6x42 with bright optics( I also have 8x56s for special use, but they add too much weight for general use). I prefer well fit "claw" mounts, but "swing" or "slide on" are also reliable. For the reticle in the scope, I prefer the typical German 3 post , but I used a heavy 4 post with x hair for many years and like it too. After those, any heavy reticle that can be seen in dark, deep woods is ok. You don't need to worry about "cheek weld", which is very important when target shooting, to get the smallest multi- shot group. Here, the idea is to be able to place one bullet where you want it. You shoot a drilling from a head up position usually. A drilling is stocked like a shotgun, because it is a shotgun. While harder to find, there are "Dural" ( aluminum) frame drillings, which are lighter than the steel frames. They hold up, because they have steel inserts in high stress locations. A "sling" is necessary, but never used for shooting( alters the point of contact). I prefer one of the quick shortening slings, that can be shortened in the stand to be out of the way. A rimfire insert barrel ( einstecklauf)( EL) adds to the utility, but should be considered "nice to have", rather than necessary, like a scope and sling. To sum up, I think you are looking for a 16 ga drilling with 60cm barrels, chambered for 6.5, 7, or8mm x 57R , with a 6x42 scope in quick detachable mounts. A proper sling can be bought later. There will be a lot of disagreement from others but you can have short chambers lengthened, and chokes modified to suit yourself. If the drilling is for your use, not for resale, and not an especially rare and/or fine one , there is no reason not to make it useful to you. In my experience, if you sell it later, there will be complaints regardless of whether it has been modified or not. This is usually an effort to have you reduce the price, or as an excuse for not buying it.
Mike
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.