April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Jimmy W, eeb, Kolar Dickson, Jtplumb, LRF, 1 invisible), 192 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,761
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Buzz, Carl46, HomelessjOe, spring, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#598636 06/23/2021 11:51 PM
by PALUNC
PALUNC
OK I'm a You Tube junkie and have my channels I like to watch. I watch a lot of the UK outdoor channels and the one I watched a video yesterday was " The Shooting Show". Now they have some great shooting videos and in particular there is this guy who is regularly on there and he does a lot of high pheasant and some pigeon shooting videos. Like me he loves a "P" gum. In fact he has a matched pair of MX12's he regularly shoots with. Well the other day I was watching him doing some pigeon shooting and he had just received a new matched pair of MX12's that he had ordered with help from Mario Perazzi himself.
He talked about the lead shot ban over in the UK and the use of steel shot. He had both new guns choked in at 40 thousand in both barrels. He said Mario said he could shoot anything he wanted through those guns.
I thought you could not use tight chokes with steel shot, am I crazy?
Oh and he had them shocked with a straight grain saying that it would help on muzzle flip and make the stock strong. Any thoughts on that?
Liked Replies
#601432 Aug 15th a 12:35 PM
by SKB
SKB
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Destry

Another knowledgeable and interesting poster who no longer participates here. Sad what a few degenerates have done to the board, though I will say that moderation has improved things dramatically.
2 members like this
#601455 Aug 15th a 05:20 PM
by KenA
KenA
I've been a member of this forum for only a short time but I've seen so much meaningless bickering it really has sucked the joy out of my experience. I just wanted to learn about steel shot. Good grief.
2 members like this
#598778 Jun 27th a 05:03 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Hey Stan. I've been using steel shot in my 3 12 gauge M12's for 30 plus years- no damage to the muzzle area of each of these fine repeaters, none whatsoever. All are full choke, which prefer, as I enjoy "pillow-casing" decoying mallards and geese at 25 yards and closing, and a full choke will do that, assuming the proper lead and follow-through on the part of the gunner. RWTF

That’s really what you “enjoy”, shooting ducks with a full choke at 25 yards and closing, “pillow casing” them as you say? That’s what you enjoy is it? Absolutely destroying and ruining a game bird for your enjoyment.
You really are a straight up rambling dip s.h.I.t.
I see clowns like you in the marsh all the time, shoot a duck with a ultra tight choke at 20 yards and when the bird explodes, and made completely inedible, these same buffoons laugh and high five.
Wish you would take another long hiatus from the board, man. Your ramblings are getting to be a bit much.
1 member likes this
#598808 Jun 28th a 04:57 PM
by lonesome roads
lonesome roads
Hoot Mon, Sir 3 incher. But what you fail to grasp in your diatribe are 2 salient factors: (1) I don't take home game for the table- I spend my off-season time, weather permitting, "pillow casing" barn pigeons and crows with those M12's and Trap loads, bum, belly, beak and bang I believe the mantra goes. Like the late Nash Buckingham espoused in his story "The Dove" "You've had about all the thrills shotgunning can afford when you blot out a high incoming dove and see him crumple up in mid-flight. I don't hunt upland birds anymore, so that is "off the table", as it were, and I am also reminded of words from the late Elmer Keith , who favored an Ithaca NID 10 bore for pheasants, as well as ducks: "You mean it kills them TOO DEAD?""-- We don't have syndicates here in the Colonies, and I have almost 100 farmer friends who give me open access to their posted properties, in exchange for my welding skills on their equipment, when needed. I pay no cash money to anyone to get hunting permission. I leave no litter, no spend shells, whether shotgun or rifle (woodchucks, coyotes, fox, etc. and never tell anyone at the DU banquets where I hunt and shoot, including pest birds in the off seasons. Oh, I dress the ducks and geese and give them to the farmer/land owner. The crows and pigeons go into the manure spreaders (turd hearses, shades of Angus McNab if you will)--I would love to be paired with George Digweed in a blind or hide and have a day of wood pigeon and crow shooting--probably will not happen though! RWTF

What the fuhk you on aboot?

#598814 Jun 28th a 06:04 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Hoot Mon, Sir 3 incher. But what you fail to grasp in your diatribe are 2 salient factors: (1) I don't take home game for the table- I spend my off-season time, weather permitting, "pillow casing" barn pigeons and crows with those M12's and Trap loads, bum, belly, beak and bang I believe the mantra goes. Like the late Nash Buckingham espoused in his story "The Dove" "You've had about all the thrills shotgunning can afford when you blot out a high incoming dove and see him crumple up in mid-flight. I don't hunt upland birds anymore, so that is "off the table", as it were, and I am also reminded of words from the late Elmer Keith , who favored an Ithaca NID 10 bore for pheasants, as well as ducks: "You mean it kills them TOO DEAD?""-- We don't have syndicates here in the Colonies, and I have almost 100 farmer friends who give me open access to their posted properties, in exchange for my welding skills on their equipment, when needed. I pay no cash money to anyone to get hunting permission. I leave no litter, no spend shells, whether shotgun or rifle (woodchucks, coyotes, fox, etc. and never tell anyone at the DU banquets where I hunt and shoot, including pest birds in the off seasons. Oh, I dress the ducks and geese and give them to the farmer/land owner. The crows and pigeons go into the manure spreaders (turd hearses, shades of Angus McNab if you will)--I would love to be paired with George Digweed in a blind or hide and have a day of wood pigeon and crow shooting--probably will not happen though! RWTF

Oh I bet your farmer friends are just over-the-moon when you give them their clean & dressed “pillow cased” birds, all blood shot to shit and mangled, pre tenderized, eh?
You’re ridiculous.
1 member likes this
#598907 Jun 30th a 01:36 PM
by HomelessjOe
HomelessjOe
fOx you're average sounds higher than your pArtner Destry the Markethunter......
1 member likes this
#598867 Jun 29th a 07:48 PM
by Konor3inch
Konor3inch
"Perhaps the farmers lady----" OK, how about we try "Perhaps the farmer's lady is just too polite to complain?" Much better, ey wot? In my years of befriending farmers, with the goal of having unlimited permission to access their property, I have learned a few things-I'll take the time to share them here, perhaps you might learn a few things about how things are done in The Colonies-- (1) Leave things the way you see them when on a farmer's lands- if a gate is open, even with livestock around, it is open for a reason. (2) always leave the keys in your vehicle and leave it unlocked, in the event that it might have to be moved while you are afield. (3) if, in the off harvesting season, you are invited in for coffee, do so, and take your time in the socializing around the kitchen table- do NOT be in a rush to get out and into the fields with gun in hand-and be a good listener. (4) take time to learn about how crops and commodities are priced- milk is priced by the hundred weight, NOT by the gallon- keep up on going prices for feed, seed, fertilizers, diesel fuel, all the items that are critical to farm operations. (5)-- Never be a litterbug-- farms may look "messy" especially with livestock, more so than cash crop farms, but pick up All your empties- livestock, especially cattle, will pick up your empty shotgun shells and ingest them- which means a big Vet bill, and, most likely, a loss of your hunting/shooting permission there.

You’re certainly the master of the obvious RWTF. I can’t say that your homely advice on how to ingratiate yourself with farmers has been enlightening but then having worked on farms and coming from a rural area that shouldn’t come as any surprise. Also having grown up within the farming community I find just being myself seems sufficient to fit in.
One bit of advice I can pass on is Don’t be too impressed by people who constantly tell you who and what they are, it’s usually wishful thinking on their part.
I wouldn’t think that your superficial attempts to fit in with the farming community solely to gain something would overshadow your presentation of mangled parts of wildfowl , overshot at 25 yards with a full choke patterning shotgun , that surely only you would consider fit for the table. I don’t think that approach would work here, you would be considered a laughing stock. You might well try to impress with your pedantic use of basic English grammar but no farmer I know would give you the time of day, you would probably be known as the strange guy that mangles birds at point blank and thinks that it’s acceptable to gift them to people who are better placed to judge their value.
Just out of interest what load are you using for 25 yard wildfowl these days? I may want to quote you when I’m discussing the coming season with some local wildfowlers.
Are you interested in purchasing a ferret ? I could ask around ,it sounds like it wouldn’t be short of a feed at your house.
1 member likes this
#598904 Jun 30th a 12:11 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
You'll have to take my word, Sir 3 incher- but in part thanks to a few constant factors, I have a season long average of 1&1/2 shells for male mallards, and 2 for geese- mainly pass shooting over water. Several factors come into play in that average: (1) off season practice with the same shotguns I use for waterfowling- 12 gauge Model 12 pumpguns (a favorite of the late Gough Thomas I believe)- crows, blackbirds,feral pigeons and the odd shitepoke- At almost 80, my days of putting out a load of decoys, wearing waders in rapid rivers, or laying on my aching back in a camo field bag are pretty much over. I use Kent 2&3/4" No. 4 steel 1&1/8 oz. for mallard and early season geese, later when the flight birds come down our flyway I use 1&1/4 ounce No. 4 steel. My average estimated kill zone is 30 yards and closing. Being a bit frugal, I had to waste shells. You will never have any way to verify this, you'll have to take my word, but one of many factors in my skill at pass shooting birds is the fact that I still have 20/20 distance vision, a real gift from God since all my working years involved welding- Ah yes, welding- you implied that I might have pandering my farmer friends to get permission to hunt and shoot their lands. I beg to differ, Sir. They are all friends, and I don't come to them empty handed. Maybe equipment vital to their farming and income is not used in Limeyland, but here, welding and machine repair go hand=in=hand with staying operational. I do this service for them in a manner of "paying my way"--and NOT taking them and their friendship for granted. RWTF
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.