March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback), 880 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, canvasback, Cold Iron, dirty harry, HomelessjOe, Jim H., kgb, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#598980 07/01/2021 11:40 PM
by DES/TSD
DES/TSD
I was notified today of the passing of Michael McDaniel. He was working concrete on the final section of his new driveway. There are no details. Please remember Michael as the hunter he was. He loved his dogs and he loved his friends. He had 3 different hunts planned for this year already. He adored his Manufrance Ideal firearms and was looking for ways to make his 3 bbl set a full reality. He loved fine gunstock wood. He spent 28 years as a contractor specializing in repair and upgrades to homes. He was well versed in General Contracting. Michael loved working with wood. I had the privilege of staying in his home and teaching finishing techniques in his workshop in Flower Mound,TX. My heart has not fully processed the reality yet. Michael did have a new love in life. He put his Biblical training (Prairie Bible Institute of Canada and Dallas Theological Seminary) into action as a Hospice Chaplain. He moved into this field six years ago and was enjoying it.

Dennis Earl Smith
Liked Replies
#598992 Jul 2nd a 02:09 AM
by M&M
M&M
Mike introduced me to the Flatwater. I don't remember the year, but I made at least five trips and enjoyed them all. You can talk about a lot of things between Texas and Nebraska, and several seasons on the bird lease in West Texas. I will miss Mike is an understatement.
4 members like this
#598990 Jul 2nd a 01:51 AM
by Bluestem
Bluestem
Others on this board knew Mike better, but I always enjoyed shooting and talking with him during the years of the Nebraska Flatwater shoot. I can picture him making self-deprecating jokes after hitting nothing but sky at a sporting clays station, tending the steaks on the grill later that evening, and having rousing discussions ranging from 1970's motocross bikes to theology. That is how I will choose to remember him.
3 members like this
#598988 Jul 2nd a 01:38 AM
by postoak
postoak
Mike was a good friend of mine, he spent many a holiday with our family and my Grandkids called him Uncle Mike.

I am in shock still.

We are diminished.

His beloved pup Mocha has many opportunities for a new loving home.
3 members like this
#598984 Jul 2nd a 12:53 AM
by canvasback
canvasback
I had the distinct pleasure of hunting with Mike a number of times, primarily in the Sandhills. We bonded over a shared love of Ideals and great conversation. I loved hunting with him. Generous and caring. A good friend. A great guy who I already miss.
2 members like this
#598983 Jul 2nd a 12:21 AM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
I’m in shock. What horrid news. Unbelievable. I introduced Mike to the Manufrance Ideal. I remember his face as he was looking my gun over and I was showing him all the unique features. Amazed would barely describe it. That was at a Flatwater shoot in Nebraska around 2004. I also introduced him to the American Water Spaniel about a year later. Right after he met my “bear”, he got a little female named Coco I believe. He was a good dude. Always happy and always polite. An interesting guy who seemed to really enjoy people of all different back grounds. He’ll be missed. I can just imagine all the Flatwater brothers hearing this sad news, I’m sure they’ll all be as shocked as I am. Sad day.
2 members like this
#599009 Jul 2nd a 10:54 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Always sad to hear of a brother hunter passing. Mike and I had talked about him coming to GA to shoot doves with me. He was enthusiastic about it. Heaven had a special place waiting for him. Now, it is filled.

Rest in peace.
2 members like this
#598981 Jul 1st a 11:54 PM
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Michael's handle here was Wingshooter16, and his signature:
Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes
Consistency is the currency of credibility

Many will recall his posts about his new pup Mocha
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=45938&Number=580351
1 member likes this
#598982 Jul 2nd a 12:08 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
I did not know Wingshooter16 but DES/TSD your tribute to him was heartfelt and articulate. The Oregon community on this board must be mourning. Gene
1 member likes this
#598987 Jul 2nd a 01:20 AM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Sad to hear this.

I took Mike hunting in the Sandhills many years ago.
He shot his first Prairie chicken that day.

The years passed, and time got in the way of meeting up again.

Rest In Peace Mike,
Until we meet again.
1 member likes this
#599022 Jul 2nd a 02:09 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Hey if you guys want to set up some kind of a rendezvous out in the Sand Hills this fall, sort of in Mike’s honor, let me know I’ll drag some gear out and set up a camp.

I prefer to go out there later in the year just because the temperatures are better.
1 member likes this
#598991 Jul 2nd a 02:02 AM
by Joe Wood
Joe Wood
Wish I had known him personally. No better day than one afield with a Christian brother who thoroughly enjoys the wonder of God’s creation….and who shoots doubles!
1 member likes this
#599019 Jul 2nd a 01:23 PM
by kgb
kgb
Mike had a searching, inquiring mind which I had experienced somewhat at the Flatwater gatherings and on short trips for Prairie Chickens in eastern Nebraska. This past season we got together in the sandhills and I was fortunate to get to know him a good bit better while thoroughly enjoying Mocha's travels down the road to becoming a world-wise hunting companion. That's an exciting time to be around a dog in its development, witnessing its victories and disasters, more so to share in Mike's joy as the events unfolded right in front of us. Small events in the overall life of the man, I am grateful to have been there with him, sad that he has been taken from among us.
1 member likes this
#599032 Jul 2nd a 06:14 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
I didn’t know Mike but reading what you, his friends, have written I wish I had. Learning this morning both here and on the 16ga site of his sudden passing I thought of the words of English minister, John Donne. Though written 400 years ago they remain just as true and sobering.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee
1 member likes this
#599042 Jul 3rd a 06:19 AM
by Cold Iron
Cold Iron
Originally Posted by Bluestem
Others on this board knew Mike better, but I always enjoyed shooting and talking with him during the years of the Nebraska Flatwater shoot. I can picture him making self-deprecating jokes after hitting nothing but sky at a sporting clays station, tending the steaks on the grill later that evening, and having rousing discussions ranging from 1970's motocross bikes to theology. That is how I will choose to remember him.

That is where I first met "Tiny". Who could ever forget the canon set off by the Chaplain from Texas?!

Really don't have words to do Mike justice.

Yes I choose to remember him the same way as you. And he was way too young to be passing but none of us are promised Today let alone Tomorrow. He would be the first to tell you that. Wish I could still tell him it doesn't make it any easier for those of us that knew him.

Few years ago was honored to grill some prime grade ribeye steaks for him and brother canvasback while they were grouse hunting on the North Shore of Lake Superior. They came over to the cabin and to say it was a great time was an understatement.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

It was an honor doing it for him knowing how much work he had put into all the grilling steaks at Flatwater. He was a true servant and man of God. He was humble and by his humbleness and leadership by example made me humble to be around him.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.