October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, DaveB, mc, Dan S. W., 2 invisible), 125 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics36,217
Posts509,053
Members14,088
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, Carl46, CJ Dawe, Geo. Newbern, GLS, graybeardtmm3, Imperdix, John Roberts, LeFusil, Mark II, Matt Stolley, MattH, Mills, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by gjw
gjw
Hey all, well today in my State and many, many others, it's the Dove Opener. To me this is the start of a new season!

So, as in years past, this thread is to show off your guns, game, dogs and yourself for this season. So let's see all those great pictures again. Looking forward to seeing them!

I do have one request. Please keep this thread on track. Please, no personal attacks or sarcastic comments to those who post in good faith.

I hope everyone has a successful year and most of all a safe one!

See you later right here.

Best,

Greg
Liked Replies
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
Another GA dove season opener yesterday. I don't think I've missed one since I was 14. I like to have missed yesterday due to the fact my telephone was ominously silent last week during the traditional invitation period for an opening day shoot. Without an invite, I went out to a grown up clear-cut on my deer lease with just a chair and a mojo teal spinner-wing and sat down under a shade tree. No doves, but I went.

I did hear a dove shoot going on somewhere in the distance and hope those boys had a good and safe outing. My own shoot was certainly safe because I fired no shots at all. I did however manage to fall asleep on my folding chair and turn it over into a brier patch, getting a good whack on the face in the fall. My lovely little Lindner Daly featherweight suffered no damage in the fall, I'm happy to say.

For many years my group of guys has made a tradition of gathering for the whole Labor Day weekend at a friend's plantation on the banks of the Ocmulgee river. We always had a good shoot there one day and the group would split up the other two days for other private or pay shoots near and far. Good food and good fishing between the dove hunts. We called it off last year due to the plague, and this year as well in view of the Delta bug.

There'll be other shoots before the season ends, but there is always something special about opening day. One day I'll quit going altogether and then I hope somebody will sing something pretty at my funeral...Geo
4 members like this
by Carl46
Carl46
If we had to buy new guns every few years, and a dog lasted a lifetime, it would be a better world.

Thank you for sharing the pictures.
4 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Shot the field this morning. We were there at first light and two or three shots were fired, but it all ceased for awhile. When it got good daylight they came to feed, but not in the numbers we usually have. I was using the 30" barreled Dickinson .410 with the W-W 3/4 oz. loads of 8 1/2s. Managed to get 12 with it. Last shot was a 36 yard crosser, mature bird, that dropped like a rock.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Planning to go again Monday afternoon. Will either take the Dickinson again, or the FAIR Iside .410.
3 members like this
by Mills
Mills
I heard the news and was very relieved to call Gil and Floyd and have them answer in person. It was a hell of a week. Starting to think the devil is going to make me tote him
2 members like this
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
Wow Gil, that was a bad opening day. Glad y’all are ok. Our hunt in the NC Piedmont was unexpectedly excellent. A large field led to long and ill advised shots early in the day. The dairy farmer’s combine broke down 1/2 way through the field or the field may have been unmanageable. After enduring seriously poor shooting with a tightly choked O/U in the morning flight, I settled down after switching over to the IC/M SxS (Both 12 ga Bosses) and my performance improved. That evening, 30 marinated and butter basted dove medallions delighted the family.

2 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Had a nice little shoot this afternoon. Seven of us in a small field of sunflowers. Lots of birds. We took to the field a little after 3:00 and I and my pastor had our limits by about 5:00. Then, everyone else was out by about 6:00, so that the rest of the birds could come in and feed. We'll likely shoot it again in a couple weeks.

Managed a 15 bird limit today with the Dickinson, including two sets of doubles ......... right, then left. On one pair there were two dead birds in the air at the same time. They fell about 15' apart. Same 3/4 oz. loads of 8 1/2s.

Sure is better than where I was a year ago today. whistle

2 members like this
by gjw
gjw
Hey all, had just a short time to hunt today, my partner (daughter Patty) had to be home early.

Saw grouse, but for some odd reason they sure were spooky, Raina would get wind of them, and up they went out of range. Odd behavior, as the area we hunted hasn't been hunted so far this season. Oh well, that's hunting!

Raina did manage to pin some huns down and I managed one out of that covey.

Patty and Raina. Patty was using a 20ga Yildiz

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used my 16b Charles Hellis today

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Best,

Greg
2 members like this
by gjw
gjw
Hey all, well my daughter Patty and I went out today. It was a very good day! Patty got her first bird! One proud papa here. She got it with 1 shot and it went down hard. I also got one. We both got ours after a bunch got up wild, no shots on them. But as always with Sharpies, there were a couple of lonesome Charlies. Addie went with today, she did very well, good solid points and nice retrieves to hand. She's going to be another Old Girl (Duchess was one of best dogs I've ever owned). At 2 1/2 years she is really doing well. Very happy with her. My other GSP Raina is going on the sidelines for awhile. She's got a pretty good gash under her leg. So until she heals up...Addie will have to take the lead. Anyway, a very good day!

Patty and her first bird. She was using a Yildiz 20ga

I used the old meat gun today, my 16b Boswell

Best

Greg
2 members like this
by mel5141
mel5141
Pics tomorrow , I hope..... Doves are scarce, fewest here since I moved onto this ranch in 1988..... I am a real believer that WINTER STORM URI , took its toll, Coldest recorded temps in 131 years of record keeping ( I am not privvy to the records that the Comanche might have recorded.....) Nesting Dove Population took a HIT.....We shot limits ....BUT shot Pretty Good .... at limited targets.....I had only 19 Doves in shootable range for my 20 Bore..... took a limit.....with little to spare...... Best part of the hunt was trying to set up shots so the falls would present doable retrieving opportunities for Nic's young Cocker.... I got it done often enough to really Whet her desire.... she is a Keeper, more to follow tomorrow.
I hope everyone who went out had a Good outing...
1 member likes this
by skeettx
skeettx
Amarillo Texas
Only local birds so far
94 degrees and 30+ MPH wind, blowing dust.
Tristar Brittany 410
Only 3 presentable shots, 3 doves harvested
Mike
1 member likes this
by Karl Graebner
Karl Graebner
looks like you had a great day, here's hoping there's more to come!
Karl
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola
Great picture Stan, and well done for opening the season!

What chokes does your Dickinson have?

Parabola
1 member likes this
by Jtplumb
Jtplumb
Little slow after first half the day, it rained
1 member likes this
by Mills
Mills
We had a great hunt frustrated by some tough doves and a mischievous bird dog. I hit more than a few that shed feathers and kept right on going. Then Sherwood disappears into the nearby neighborhood and was missing for 24 hours. I wound up with a limit, Harry got 5 and Julia got 4. She spent a good bit of time looking for Sherwood and would have had more otherwise. I found that practice at the dove tower at Forest City improved my game a good bit.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Mills
Starting to think the devil is going to make me tote him

Aunt Pet again......... grin
1 member likes this
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
[George, give your 4Runner a pat on the hood. They are one tough trucks. Toyota heavy duty construction, airbags, seat belts, random good luck and the old adage, "only the good die young" were in operation, although we are both past "young". Floyd got scraped up and is doing okay with no major injuries.]

Gil, glad you both came through this. Just sent the pics to my older son who owns a Gen 5 4Runner. We gave our Gen 4 to our younger son and got a small SUV. Momma has been campaigning to go back to a 4Runner. If I show her your pictures they’ll be no holding her back.

Again, glad you’re OK.
1 member likes this
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
Dang, Gil. I thought I started the season poorly. Sorry about such a fine looking truck, but I'm glad you guys came through ok. I hope the defendant with the cement mixer was driving a company truck for a mega corporate construction company! If you need an exhibit "A" to show what your 4Runner looked like "Before", I'll be glad to snap a pic of mine for you...Geo
1 member likes this
by Marshgrass
Marshgrass
Glad you and Floyd came through it with minimal damage.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Thank God y'all survived with just a few scratches, buddy. Also glad neither Willa nor Abby were with you, and that you had your seat belts on. Give Floyd my best wishes for a speedy healing.

Looks like you're going shooting brake shopping again.

As Jerry Clower's Aunt Pet used to say "It coulda' been worse", but it's still a helluva way to start a bird season.

Two key things this morning .............. Naproxen Sodium and coffee.
1 member likes this
by gjw
gjw
Hey all, well today was the opener for Grouse and Huns. It was a good day, temps lower, winds not too bad and sunny. We hunted a ranch where we have for close to 20 years now. Some of the prairie has been hayed, but still enough to hunt. We saw more grouse today than we have in the last couple years. Most of the birds were young (that's good!). Took Raina out and she did well, a bit tuckered as she is a bit out of shape, but she stuck with it. I was able to limit in an hour and a half. Got a double out of one group and then a single out of another. Jim managed 1. It was one of those not in the right place and the right time.

Anyway, here's Raina with the days tally. Jim used his AyA 20ga

Here's my birds. I was using y "meat" gun. A Charles Boswell 16b BLE. Two years ago one of the ejectors broke and our own SKB fixed her up for me. Works like a champ. Thanks Steve!!!!

It was a good day with number 2 son. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Best!

Greg
1 member likes this
by gjw
gjw
Hey all, went out after work today for about an hour, not much time to hunt, but I was able to get 1. Saw a few more, but for some reason, they were a bit skittish. Happy with the one!

I used t 16b John Wilkes today.

Best,

Greg
1 member likes this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Congrats on your daughters first bird! A sharptail no less. Hard to beat as far as first upland birds go. Well done!
1 member likes this
by gjw
gjw
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Congrats on your daughters first bird! A sharptail no less. Hard to beat as far as first upland birds go. Well done!

Thanks so much Dustin! I know we've had our differences in the past....I apologize for some of the things I've said. I trust that we can start a new.

Thanks again for the vest kind words!!

Best,

Greg
1 member likes this
by gjw
gjw
Hey all, went out after work for a quick hunt.  Old lady luck smiled on me.  I was able to limit in 45 minutes.  Raina did well, the weather was perfect!  Couldn't ask for more!

I used my 16b Charles Hellis today

Best,

Greg
1 member likes this
by Rubberhead
Rubberhead
I'm starting to love this gun.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.