Members14,386
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, Buzz, HomelessjOe, John Roberts, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by tw
tw
Thot it best to open a new thread, now that the season has opened in most places to see how folks have faired. I've not been out yet this season, but oft find the better sport in early October and no longer have the company of some shooting buds not w/us any longer and don't do triple digit days and extreme heat as well as I once did. I'll be getting out to try and take some of them later. So, what guns went afield, what was the set-up and how well did you shoot? And most importantly, did ya have fun?
Liked Replies
by Buzz
Buzz
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Stan isn't a 3" mag .410 basically a 28 gauge ?
3/4 Oz shot is 3/4 Oz of shot, eh??
2 members like this
by mel5141
mel5141
Well.... Stan, it was 3 hours..... but the alternative is ......? glad you stuck it out and got a limit.....
Just to offer a "contrarian" line of thought..... when birds are scarce , I resort to a different tactic.....bigger gun/shell/choke combination, and reach down in my "shooting tool bag " and try any reasonable chance , calling on a confidence that it takes a bit to bring out...but I tell myself I have done this shot before, let's see if I can pull it off again....
Days like you experienced today make me recall so many shoots with my fine friend and mentor who disdained small bore guns for just that reason..... he wanted to feel he had the best tool for any opportunity that presented itself.
It proved to be a theory well based in experience.....There is some real satisfaction in a bag limit taken when the conditions are Tough. Congrats on yours today.
2 members like this
by HomelessjOe
HomelessjOe
Stan isn't a 3" mag .410 basically a 28 gauge ?
1 member likes this
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Buzz
3/4 Oz shot is 3/4 Oz of shot, eh??

Yep............ until ignition. Then, setback takes it's toll. And the toll, misshapen shot, is a lot higher in a .410 bore than in a .550 bore. Most people who have patterned a lot know how much harder it is to get really nice patterns out of magnum .410 loads. I had to go to hard, nickel plated shot to get 3/4 oz. .410 patterns that come close to equaling hard unplated shot patterns out of a 28.

Sounds like the logical progression would be 1500 fps loads of # 10 TSS shot in a very lightly choked 3" .410 bore at about $3.00 per pop at a dove....

...or just using a 20 gauge, or even a 12 gauge with # 8 lead promo loads.
1 member likes this
by Carl46
Carl46
Shooting dove with the lock time of a flintlock would be an accomplishment all right. With three guns, two loaders, and a thousand birds, I might manage a limit. Maybe.
1 member likes this
by mel5141
mel5141
I re read that line , and I probably should have said " my allotted 15 WERE shot and picked up..........
Truth is that I took them with 17 shells. One I shot a bit short, and I used a LONG second barrel on another. All in all, a very nice outing.
I hope the 28 pays handsome dividends today Stan.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I knew you were capable of a 15/15, Paul. That's why it was so easy for me to misunderstand it. But there's nothing shabby about a 88% average on doves! That's not but about six or seven times the national average which, they say is 7-8 shots per dove bagged. Can't go until Saturday, Paul. I'll be thinking about you.

Best .........
1 member likes this
by mel5141
mel5141
I understand your "affliction" (small bores) and "convictions" completely , Stan.
I am out the door for a Morning shoot on a field scouted just last evening......I have in mind a stand that should , if they fly as I predict, be able to set up to shoot passing birds entering the field without the use of Mojo toys to slow or turn them....
Shots I really like to try....gun is a 20 bore 28" SxS IM/F. Time and experience in the field and on the pattern plate (pretty extensive testing) tell me I have a gun shell combo that is @95% reliable at 39 yards and 44 yards. Percentages naturally go way down when you push the limits of the combo, but making some memorable shots to fill a limit that might otherwise be unobtainable is a big part of the satisfaction I get from Dove shooting. Plus there is just the pure Joy I get from using that "little" gun. I really LIKE it.
1 member likes this
by 28 gauge shooter
28 gauge shooter
Finally went out Sunday morning for a short 1.5hr hunt. Not a lot of birds, but came home with 8 birds, 2 pigeon. The RBL 20 gauge worked perfectly, however, I think a couple of those Remington gun club load had no shot in them. LOL!

Rich
1 member likes this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
I’d rather spend two or three hours with a nice small bore double or pump, getting a limit, than an hour getting an easier limit with a 12 bore. When you are in the zone with a .410 or 28, ranges which Dove can cleanly be killed, will make you feel great about your shooting ability. 30 yards seems like easy Skeet field shots and 35 yard shots are solid kills. Past that my skills with a .410 tend to Peter out like my patterns.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.