March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AZMike, jcn, battle, Jim H., Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 831 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Cold Iron, David Williamson, FelixD, John Roberts, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#602574 09/10/2021 2:27 AM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had this gun since 2016. An associate of mine was running the gun room at the Cabelas in Lonetree and he made me a generous offer on an early M31 I was tendering in trade. Because it was the two gauge (.410/28) combo and likely because nobody knew much about Dickenson's then (other than that they were "Turkish" [it had evidently also been around that gun room for some time]), in the end, I had to lay out very little money for it. The triggers were horrendous and I had my buddy ship it directly to Dickenson's designated service facility (in Oregon, I believe) and after much discussion (even involving some minor threats) it was returned to me with 3 1/2 and 4 lb pulls totally free of charge (which on a 5 1/4 lb gun is the upper limit for decent). I've always enjoyed the fiddleback, but the finish on it was a bit thin from day one, so I recently employed the services of yet another associate to add an additional layer of oil to protect it better from the elements up on our northern border.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/url

[url=https://imgur.com/aq8EwKn][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true round-body trigger plate action, and with lovely bone-charcoal hardening throughout (which shockingly....reminds me very much of David McKay Brown's lovely creations) and with adult dimensions and 28-inch tubes. It's modern steel easily digests modern ammunition and it even has choke tubes (in the 28-bore barrels). Because of our current munitions drought, it will serve this year to help extend my limited supply of 16 RSTs up there

We taped off the checkering and hit it with Minwax Spar Urethane spray (only the finest for my high-dollar guns). Completed pix to follow.
Liked Replies
#602862 Sep 14th a 06:42 PM
by Wild Skies
Wild Skies
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by Brian
Beware of Dickinson guns. I will share a horror story of absolutely the worst customer service and shade tree mechanic gunsmithing repair done by Dickinson on one of their SxS's. waiting for photos. after seeing what happened to a friend/client of mine with his, no way would I buy one. and Ill name names and give full details of what they did and show the proof.
they were given plenty of opportunities and time to make it right after making it wrong. They didnt come through. they basically blew him off with more excuses.

Brian,
Not judging, just asking: when will you follow up with this fairly heavy indictment? I'm sure there's a significant interest here to know "the rest of the story". Thanks.
JR
...and will we get both sides of the story?
2 members like this
#602579 Sep 10th a 05:01 AM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
While it may remind you of a DMB or a Dickson, but it absolutely looks nothing like them internally or externally.

Internally, your Dickinson looks exactly like a Japanese made SKB. It lacks the type of mainsprings used in those Scottish RA guns, among a myriad of other differences.

Externally, the action shape isn’t even close to as rounded as a DMB, Dickson or MacNaughton. A manufrance Ideal is much more rounded than these Dickinsons are.

It does look to be nicely finished up though. Case coloring is very nice. A couple of friends who I shoot with own them and they seem very happy with them, especially for the amount of money laid down for them. (Less than $1500).
1 member likes this
#603053 Sep 18th a 03:52 PM
by bushveld
bushveld
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Have a great opening day, Lloyd. The National Oldsmobile Club’s “Quad States” meet and show is in Bloomington, tomorrow, the wife, Olds, and I will make an appearance. Sunday brings the ABCE, or, All British Cycling Event, and I’ll be there, participating in The gravity race and pastry joust.

No birds for me.

Best,
Ted

Ted;
I am sending you a PM about Oldsmobile shop manuals.

Stephen Howell
1 member likes this
#602593 Sep 10th a 02:30 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
I have no illusions about what this gun is or isn't. It simply fills a slot in my battery of guns and like the rest, it has a job to do. The fact that it does it fairly well now (after many interventions to make it what I think I need) explains a lot about why it cost me so-little to acquire it. Would I like to own a DMB or a McNaughton instead? Absolutely. Can I justify the significant investment needed to acquire such a toy? Probably not. It's extremely light and yet I actually shoot it fairly well, a pocket full of 28s weigh almost nothing (when compared to a pocket of 12s), and.... for the most part it's attractive to look at and fun to use. No downside here, and in my mind...a fairly good value. Where am I wrong? My goal in posting this little missive was to illustrate the minimal effort needed to make this weapon useful and pleasant to employ. Sub-gauge guns often exist in a place that many can't justify exploring. These guns can allow for that to happen in a reasonable and practical way.
1 member likes this
#625782 Feb 4th a 01:49 PM
by GLS
GLS
Answered
1 member likes this
#603177 Sep 21st a 12:32 AM
by Brian
Brian
Update" I am waiting for more details form my friend/client so that I can present the story accurately. not stalling. just waiting for my friend. I will post as a separate post. may be a delay as I am headed to Switzerland to take my fathers ashes to spread on his favorite ski areas in the Bernese Oberland region (Wengen & Grindewald)
Please be patient.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.