Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Texasbdog
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#602823 09/14/2021 1:36 AM
by Texasbdog
Texasbdog
Hi, I have purchased a Franz Kettner cape gun in 16g/9.3x72R. This has beautiful engraving and awesome Burl wood and appears to be in great condition. Has anybody here had any experience with this maker? Posted in the right forum now, thanks for the messages.
Liked Replies
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Texasbdog,
Sadly, I'm not able to inform you who the actual maker of your gun was, based on the proof marks. I am able to inform you, however, that it was proofed in Germany( maybe Suhl, maybe Zella) sometimes between 1893( when the 1891 proof law was implemented) and about 1912( when 1911 improvements to the law were made). The crown U under an eagle is the mark for a "View" proof, performed after a definitive proof, using the provisional proof charge. A view proof is basically a detailed inspection, including verification of dimensions, after firing the proof loads. The crown G on the rifle barrel is the provisional proof for a barrel using a single projectile( bullet). The crown S on the other barrel is the provisional proof mark for barrels using shot. The crown W next to the eagle on the barrel flat means the shotgun barrel is choked, but the amount of constriction is not shown. The 16 in a circle means the gun had a standard 16 ga. chamber which is 65mm or 2 1/2- 2 9/16" instead of the current US standard of 2 3/4". The 16/1 is the bore diameter, ahead of the chamber, which works out to 16.99mm. The 118/35 is the rifle's bore( not groove or bullet) diameter, expressed in gauge measurement. This mark is often found on various old 9.3 and 9mm rifles and is consistent with your statement that it is a 9.3x72R. One of the changes made in 1912 would change this mark to show the bore diameter in mm and show the case length, also in mm. From experience, guns showing a 118/35 mark most often have about .358-.359" groove diameter, which would be helpful to you if you decide to handload ammo for it. I hope this helps.
Mike
1 member likes this
by HalfaDouble
HalfaDouble
I'll guess maybe $550 to $850 depending heavily on bore condition. It's a shame about the apparent condition of the wood. Of course, I may be out of touch with the current market. It may even be lower. Having bought 2 nice top lever hammer drillings in 16/16/9.3 for $75 and $35 (yes, $35) and a 16/9.3 hammer Cape, also top lever, for $75, I may be slanted.
1 member likes this
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Raimey,
I suspect one folding either way could be fit up.
Mike
1 member likes this
by Richard Saloom
Richard Saloom
I have three Franz Kettner firearms. Two drillings and one shotgun. When I talked to David Moses several years ago, he indicated that they were an actual maker and moved to the west at some point after the war. They had a location that was open until at least a few years ago. FRANZ Kettner should not be confused with Eduard Kettner.

Mine are well made and two have wonderful engraving.
1 member likes this
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Texasbdog,
Take a look at my comments back on page 2. If the 16 gauge shells that came with it are 2 1/2 or 2 1/16" , that would be correct. If they are 2 3/4", you should check to see if the chamber has been lengthened without being marked. The 9.3x72R cartridges would be one of the cartridges consistent with the markings. If they chamber, that would rule out any of the shorter cartridges. While not very likely, it could be chambered for either 9.3x75R( the 360 base one) or 9.3x82R Nimrod. A chamber cast would be necessary to rule these out. Firing 9.3x72 R ammo in either of these wouldn't likely be dangerous, but it might not be very accurate in a 9.3x82R chamber.
Mike
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.