March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Matt Stolley, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Looking at a Black powder proofed gun, 2 3/4” chambers, reproofed in 1980, trying to figure out what the service pressures should be? Or are all Black proof guns to be considered the same if 2 1/2” or 2 3/4” with service pressures in the 5,000 range? After 30 plus years I finally have a basic standard pressure load range for Nitro. Black powder pressures are the last piece of the puzzle. So what is the general answer.
Liked Replies
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Shotgunjones I think you are exactly right. So we have to just base it on what pressures we can determine Black powder shells of the day would generate. Thanks to Drew there are several different known Black powder pressure loads from the period and from that I think a basic load of 5-6,000 psi is going to be my safe pressure load. In fact I loaded 50 tonight for Dove this Saturday. My 150 year old Westley Richards is going to get a workout along with my Lab of color.
2 members like this
by Shotgunjones
Shotgunjones
I think you're looking for something that was not published or documented because it was not needed or even thought of at the time Jon.

The need for 'service pressure' standards arose with the development of smokeless powder.

With black, you charge by weight and what you get is what you get. Thus, the '3 dram' load.

Certainly different powders would develop slightly different pressure, but with a 200% overload being 'proof' whatever variation there is would be moot.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.