March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (trw999), 852 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
LeFusil, Parabola
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#606944 11/24/2021 9:58 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Apart from the early Westley Richards sleeving jobs, when they emblazoned their name above the SLEEVED that the Proof House then insisted on stamping on the sides of the breeches, there is usually little indication as to who carried out a sleeving task.

This gun is a Cogswell and Harrison, circa 1882, sideock non ejector built on the top lever cocking Gibbs and Pitt action patent 284 of 1873.

The locks contain either Holland patent intercepting sears, or a very similar design.

The date stamp on nitro proof when sleeved is unclear but I suspect might be 1978.

Marked on each barrel near the SLEEVED mark is a tiny E COOKE and between those stamps is 77/25 which is probably his 25th sleeving job of 1977.

I can’t find an E. Cooke in Volumes 1 or 2 of Nigel Brown, but it may be that Toby Barclay, Salopian , Damascus or Small Bore will know the answer.
Liked Replies
#608822 Jan 3rd a 08:34 PM
by Toby Barclay
Toby Barclay
Originally Posted by Parabola

Here is a picture of the inside of the right hand lock of the Cogswell Gibbs and Pitt gun.

I think the number 1028 is a patent use number.

Note that the polish on the bottom of the mainspring suffices to act as a mirror after almost 140 years.

I thought at first that the intercepting safety sear was covered by Holland’s 1887 patent but as this gun dates from 1882 or thereabouts it must be part of an earlier patent.

The 'Block Patent Safety' exhibited by your gun has been attributed to Scott and Holland but it is neither. Even Baker & Crudgington got it wrong, misled by H&H's advertising muscle!
It is fact a reworking of the Needham & Hinton interceptor sears patent no. 706 of 1879 where the 'block' is part of the trigger blade but operates in exactly the same way. H&H showed it in the patent specification for patent no. 5834 of 1887 (operating as a separate piece of metal) but, as with many pre-invented mechanisms, they were wise enough to not put too much emphasis on the safety, concentrating on the ejector the patent covered.
2 members like this
#607109 Nov 26th a 07:30 PM
by Toby Barclay
Toby Barclay
Nothing in Volume 3 either.
I have never heard of an 'E.Cooke' but I came late to the party and 1977 is a very long time ago! The joint isn't welded but then TIG welding by Bob Ladbrook hadn't been 'invented' in '77. The London trade were probably still very grumpy about the acceptance of sleeving by the Proof Houses (reluctantly!) at that time so my guess would be the Birmingham trade.
1 member likes this
#607112 Nov 26th a 08:55 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Growing up, I remember gunsmiths tagging their work.

That was only gunsmiths that actually did an apprenticeship somewhere.

I don’t know which schools told their students to tag their work.
1 member likes this
#607129 Nov 27th a 02:26 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Mr. Cooke can sleeve my gun any time. Nice joint.
1 member likes this
#607204 Nov 28th a 10:40 PM
by ed good
ed good
the all but invisible sleeve joints are incredible...would love to know how he did that? must have involved use of a lathe?
1 member likes this
#607228 Nov 29th a 12:03 PM
by mc
mc
Smoke fitting
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.