March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hoot4570, playing hooky, jcn, GeorgeGibbs505, SKB, Pat Gidley), 858 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
John Roberts, MattH, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#607021 11/25/2021 6:07 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
For both deer and elk today. Loading my old truck, packing my rifle, ammo, cloths (& old guy meds) and pointing the nose of it north and west. Going over Rabbit Ears tonight in the dark. Snowed here a bit yesterday and it's decidedly cooler. Hunting sure beats listening to the news. Not sure when I'm coming home and....I rather like that. Driving tonight after a turkey dinner will be interesting.
Liked Replies
#607292 Dec 1st a 12:59 AM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
My two hunting worlds. Compare this....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

to this...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not sure why, but it's hard for me to fully process how different they are.

Something I might add to my earlier post about hunting being what I do. I've thought about that for a bit and I'd have to say that it is also a place where I go to disconnect from the problems of modern society for a little while (to hopefully gain a little perspective). Hunting helps me to strip away some of the "affected" behaviors that we all fall prey to. It's rather stark simplicity is beautiful to my clearly inadequate mind. It slows me down, and helps me reconnect to my core. When I come back to the "world" I'd like to think that I see that social framework more clearly for what is meaningful and what is merely an overlay of trivial things masquerading as something more important.
2 members like this
#607102 Nov 26th a 04:11 PM
by Karl Graebner
Karl Graebner
Stan,
I've heard that a body in motion, stays in motion!
Karl
1 member likes this
#607400 Dec 3rd a 11:32 PM
by keith
keith
Lloyd, you are making me kind of envious with your reports of your recent "Long Trip to the Grouse Woods" and now this hunting trip with an indeterminate ending date. I had hoped that by the time I reached this stage in life, I would have a lot of vacation time to spend outdoors. But unfortunately, I have made several job changes due to corporate bankruptcies, outsourcing, and my own desire to move on to better employment. So even while most all of these moves have resulted in better pay and benefits, one downside has been starting over with entry level vacation time. My most recent job change was in 2016 thanks to a booming Donald Trump economy.

I vividly recall working with a couple Swiss Technicians on some engineering changes and modifications on one job back in 1993. The Mechanical Engineer remarked to me on his last day here that when he went back to Switzerland, he would be going on Holiday. I asked him what holiday it was, and he explained that what we call vacation, they call Holiday. When I asked him how much Holiday time he got, he replied in his heavy French accent that he got 15 weeks. I was totally blown away because he wasn't that old, and he saw my shock and surprise, and asked me how much Holiday/Vacation I got. I had just started this job several months prior, and he was equally shocked when I told him that I got 40 hours after one year. He genuinely thought I was pulling his leg, and I explained that I had just started this new job. I then asked him how much Holiday I would get if I was a new hire at his Company, and he said, "Six weeks... in Switzerland, everyone gets at least six weeks." Several years later, when I worked for General Motors, and they were beginning a massive downsizing of U.S. operations, I read a Wall Street Journal article that reported the much larger Buyout Offers that Volkswagen was offering to German employees, and also about the refusal of the I.G. Metall Union that represented Volkswagen workers to go back to a 32 hour work week, up from the 28.5 hour workweek they were on. The Union President remarked that Volkswagen workers were already over-worked. I guess someone has to work longer hours to pay for our Welfare State.

Envy is one of The Seven Deadly Sins, and complaining doesn't help. I am getting out for some hunting though, and always save some vacation time for Hunting Seasons. We actually had snow for the first few days of our deer season, which is certainly a sign of Global Warming. Yesterday, I finally put the studded snow tires on the truck, and sprayed the frame and underside with Fluid Film. I haven't seen a decent buck yet, and won't take a doe until late in Flintlock Season. So I'll be out there again tomorrow.
1 member likes this
#607449 Dec 5th a 04:03 AM
by Tyler
Tyler
At 64, I am NOT in near as good of shape as I should be. HOWEVER, my soon to be ( Jan 10th) 96 year old father just returned from his annual, now bi-annual to make up for lost trips due to COVID, migration across the Atlantic on the Sea Dream, SOLO! I did, at the last minute convince him not to make the four hour drive to Atlanta to catch his flight to Barcalonia, but the rest he handled himself.Folks often ask, “Why do y’all let him do this at his age?” My reply is “ What is the worst that can happen? He has too many martinis and falls overboard or falls and cracks his head while dancing with a younger lady? There is no way he would rather go!”
1 member likes this
#607471 Dec 5th a 04:10 PM
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
I suppose he meant sans a "date"....Geo
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.