March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Imperdix, mc, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by kemaltunali
kemaltunali
I purchased this Leech recently, and have been looking for some information other than Nigel Brown's British Gunmakers. Was leech actually a gunmaker or a retailer? I e-mailed Leech with the serial number and was given the info that the gun was completed in 1913. 30 inch cylinder modified damascus barrels with ejectors. Clean shiny bores seems didnt have a lot of use at all. 65mm chambers. Any info is appreciated.

All the best!

Kem

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Liked Replies
by bushveld
bushveld
Kem;

I agree with Parabola, it is a beautiful gun and not only that the engraving is superb as is the entire filing and carving of the action. With such beautiful large scroll engraving that is done in the most excellent manner for the timeframe, plus the very fine top grade damascus pattern welded barrels, my guess is that the gun was a bespoke made gun that Leech & Sons ordered from one of the better Birmingham makers; and it was not made by Leech. However, since my libray of references list Leech being a gunmaker in Essex for a long period time, I think that by the time that this gun was made Leech was retailing guns made by others for his firm and not making guns. It is not the norm for provential firms such as Leech to have had the capabilities to make such an excellent firearm; there were some that could such as Horsley and Green. By 1913 fewer and fewer gun purchasers were ordering damascus barrels and this gun is special to my mind in that regard.

Bottom line is that you have found a jewel. Guns with long damascus barrels are in demand in today's market place, especially ones with good barrel wall thickness.

Please take more photos and send to us. Photos of the barrel flats, action face and the inside of the fore-arm will tell us a great deal. From the photos that you sent we can see that the gun was made with a Scott spindle and not the less expensive Greener top lever works.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell
1 member likes this
by kemaltunali
kemaltunali
Thanks for the feedback guys. I e mailed Chris Holloway but didnt get any response yet. Still i hunted with her in sunday and she is a beauty!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.