March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
16 Shooter, Dave Weber, DaveB, GLS, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#609145 01/09/2022 5:16 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Traded into another Darne last week:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Mid 1970s vintage V19 20 gauge. Straight stock, swamped rib. I’m thinking the butt plate might be one of the urethane reproductions, as it is a little too perfect, and has not shrunk. That would be exactly one Darne plastic butt plate I’ve seen, in forty years, that hasn’t shrunk.

Interesting wood:

Not too much to lug around. It is actually lighter in weight than my 28 gauge V19:

Porky 28 gauge on the scale:

Maintenance consisted of moving all the screws back into north/south alignment, expected after 45 or so years, clean and light lube. Someone decided to remove about .010” from each barrel, not sure if forcing cones or chamber length have been altered, and, mostly don’t care. Chokes come in about .008 and .027, call it IC and Full, I suppose. Stock does not appear to be cast either way, and LOP is an honest 14 3/4”. I would say it has been well cared for. Triggers both break well under the weight of the gun, my usual trigger test since my trigger scale died.

I have looked for a long time for a straight stocked, swamped rib 20 gauge Darne, to replace the gun pictured in The Double Gun Journal, a gun that I sold in a silly moment. Had a very hard time missing with that gun, and didn’t really know just what a gift that was.

Best,
Ted
Liked Replies
#609151 Jan 9th a 12:36 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
That’s great Ted!

Hopefully as you switch shooting sides, the lack of cast will be easy to adapt to.
1 member likes this
#609155 Jan 9th a 02:23 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
smile - Les Francais sourient.
1 member likes this
#609160 Jan 9th a 03:38 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
Looks good Ted
1 member likes this
#609149 Jan 9th a 12:19 PM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
Very nice gun, Ted. Congratulations! I keep looking at the pair of Vouzelaud 20's Hallowell has had for some time. I can live with the short LOP and probably the cast, but I'm not sure I can live with the drop. I remain a big fan of French guns, although I've given up on Darnes. Along with pretty much any other guns that aren't break action with a tang safety.

http://www.hallowellco.com/vouzelaud_____matched_pair%2020ga.htm
1 member likes this
#609153 Jan 9th a 01:41 PM
by 16 Shooter
16 Shooter
Good for you Ted. I have made a deal on a 20 gauge Darne as well that I should have in my possession in a few days. I will take some pictures of that one as well when it comes and have you post them to here to the board for me. Enjoy that straight English stock. I have a soft spot in my heart for those English stocks. That new stock of yours is a beauty.
1 member likes this
#609184 Jan 9th a 05:07 PM
by DaveB
DaveB
Congratulations Ted, very nice!

I can’t tell, but does the gun have sling swivels or does it have the Darne detachable sling?
1 member likes this
#609230 Jan 9th a 08:41 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Cool unit Ted! Now...you have 9-months to get good with it. Those chokes are about perfect for the North Country.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.