Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
bushveld, Dr. P, Shotgunjones, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#611507 02/23/2022 3:44 PM
by Perry M. Kissam
Perry M. Kissam
A question I have had several times in the past and never asked: Why are barrel lengths in the US primarily in the 26,28, 30 inch range while many barrels of English made guns are in numbers like 27 or 29? Are our US stated even numbers a conversion from a metric measurement in Europe? I know this is probably a ridiculous sounding question to many of you, but it just hit me this morning when I saw a set of 27 inch barrels on a Lang and I thought I would get an answer once and for all. Thanks.
Liked Replies
#611524 Feb 23rd a 09:37 PM
by JBLondon
JBLondon
The UK govt. adopted the metric system in 1965 and, as in Canada, many of the citizens still think of length in imperial. If your odd-inch-length British barrels are pre-1965, then I wouldn't think metric conversion has anything to do with it.
2 members like this
#611640 Feb 25th a 05:24 AM
by Rocketman
Rocketman
The effect of barrel weight and length is now quantifiable in terms of pounds/ounces or grams/ kilograms and moment of inertia. Note that the muzzle area of the barrels are more or less twice as far from the balance point as the butt area. Balance moves as a function weight change times length from balance point to the removed/added weight. Inertia, however, changes as a function of weight added/removed and the length form balance point squared (length times length). That is weight removed/added from butt area will have 1 weight times one length. On the other hand, one weight times two length times two length (1 W times 2 L times 2L = W times 4L) shows that a barrel weight change(such as shortening or lengthening barrels) will affect inertia by four times as much as the same weight change at the butt. So, changing the barrel length by 2" (say about 4 ounces) would have about the same effect as changing the weight at butt by 16 ounces.

From the above we can see that barrel length is a very useful tool for adjusting gun handling.

DDA
2 members like this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.