March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill), 288 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#611515 02/23/2022 6:26 PM
by Tamid
Tamid
Finally a bit of a reprieve from the cold Canuck weather. Got outside to do some POI and patterning with a Baker and LC Smith Long Range. The Baker has 28” barrels and the Smith 30”. According to the gauges neither have been honed.

The constriction of the chokes on the Smith are .048 and .050. With a 3” DAH I had to get down on the stock to keep it within 2-3 inches of center at 16yds. Chokes functioned at 94% and 91% of pellets in a 30” circle at 40yds. All good and what was expected.

The Baker functioned bit differently. Chokes are .008 and .025. POI was a few inches low at 16 yds. What surprised me the most was the patterning. The right barrel patterned at 100% with all pellets in the 30” circle and the left barrel with an open choke patterned at 79%.

I was using hand loaded 2.5 inch shells with 3 drams FF BP, 1 1/8 oz #5 shot, felt wad with plastic shot cup and roll crimp. I started using a plastic shot cup to keep the patterns more symmetrical (shorter shot string with less flyers) and tighter pattern. This is the first time to pattern any shotgun with a proper set up and the conclusion is the shot cups are doing their job. The real test is now to take the shot cups out and using the same guns with same load see what the results are.
Liked Replies
#611644 Feb 25th a 07:05 AM
by Tamid
Tamid
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Tamid
I think the plastic shot cup would work the same as paper or mylar cups to keep the lead off the bore, although that has never been my objective.

Indeed. But you closed with saying you were going to take the cups out. I think the paper might help if you do. Depending on the paper you use, it could also reduce shot deformation along the bore's wall. Anyway, just a thought you might try. I'm always interested in BP loads. I've had trouble with plastic shot cups over fiber wads. For some reason they still melt onto the bore walls and make for tedious cleaning.

I've been using PB loads as described above for over 15 years. I only had plastic melt in a barrel once. It was a hot day perhaps 90F, the gun sat in the sun at a trap range for an hour then I ran 50 loads through it fairly quickly. The shot cups melted inside the barrel at the chokes in long strings. I've never had anything even close to it since and quite often examine the shot cups when I find them on the range or in the field.

But back to the patterning. I used the Baker today in a pheasant Calcutta. Perhaps new gun syndrome but I couldn't miss. I was somewhat surprised at hitting many in close range.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.