Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
ClapperZapper, Geo. Newbern, HomelessjOe, Ted Schefelbein, Tom Findrick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#611545 02/24/2022 4:49 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Somebody went too far with this "custom" gun. First the put a porky stock, complete with a ugly beavertail on the gun. Second, for some reason only known to God, they used a dremel tool to add extra skid-mark flower engraving to both sides and his initials on the bottom of the receiver at a 10 year old penmanship level. Third they made sure to polish every bit of that nasty case color off the gun. Fourth they cut the barrels to 26 1/2". Why on earth not get a period pad or a reproduction pad instead of the white line pad? The list, I am sure, would be longer in person. How were the barrels refinished? I would like to know if they hot blued the barrels. See weep hole. Oh, the seller can not get the barrels off the receiver and states they have been altered so they wont come off. Wonder how that was done. I suspect they will come off with effort, which the seller is afraid to use.

Now why is this such a shame? This reworked master piece is a Ithaca Flues, 28 gauge gun, which had to start out with 28" barrels. Those are not very common. If original, I would be very interested in owning it. As it is, if I owned it every time I looked at it I would try to figure out how to un-fix what has been done to it. The stock I could put back to original configuration. The custom engraving might be welded up, re-engraved and case colored. The barrel I can not grow back, but could fix the keel insert which is missing. The white line recoil pad needs to be just burned in a fireplace. This is a gun which has been reworked to death and still has the bones to be a nice looking gun. What a shame. It would cost more than a grand just to undo most of what has been done and twice that if you had it restocked professionally.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

Liked Replies
#611579 Feb 24th a 02:41 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
The man that altered the gun to his tastes, probably used it with joy for decades.

A foreign concept, I know.

An Ithaca Flues is/was always a cheap canvas to paint on.
2 members like this
#611547 Feb 24th a 06:18 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
Sir, first we had 15 August 2021; Then 22 Feb 2022; and Taiwan is shortly to follow..and as the world as we knew it post WWII comes apart along with the international order and the UN Charter, and we revert to pre-1939 with an impotent West wringing its hands but heading for their latte breaks..here we have a butcherized Ithaca Flues to make us feel good. I need some Kentucky Bourbon.
1 member likes this
#611591 Feb 24th a 04:44 PM
by CJF
CJF
The gun in question was my wife’s uncles gun. I don’t know if he had the work done or his dad. I do know he was a lifelong collector and shooter before he passed a few years ago and had a number of classic arms in his collection in beautiful original condition. I don’t like what was done to it. And it clearly destroyed its value now. But it was done to make someone happy decades ago. And it served that purpose. Different times.
1 member likes this
#611580 Feb 24th a 03:00 PM
by eeb
eeb
Made an ugly gun uglier
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.